want to try a brisket

Started by camoghost, September 28, 2010, 05:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camoghost

OK well now that I got the Bradley and have used it a few time I would like to try and do a brisket this weekend. What are some good tips in doing a great brisket. I know you will want a bit of fat on it, but any other ideas would be gr8.

FLBentRider

Go to our recipe site, and look at WTS Brisket and Brisket Pachanga.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

plan about 2 hrs per lb and at least 2 hours of FTC in your planning.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

Make sure you get one with some fat on it, not one of those "market trimmed" ones.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

camoghost

???  ??? ???Ok stupid qoestion what is FTC??? ??? ???

GusRobin

(there are no stupid questions on this forum - so ask away)

After it reaches your desired internal temp (IT), take the brisket and wrap in Foil; wrap that in a Towel; put in a Cooler (one that has been at least room temp -no ice) thus FTC.
Some spritz with liquid (beer, wine, apple juice, whatever) before putting in foil. Let it sit in the cooler for a while at least an hour. It can be longer, some have kept it for 4-5 hrs. It lets the juices settle, gives you a pad if it is done early- FTC it until ready to serve. It also works if you are cooking at home and then have to take to someone's house. If a cooler is not available you can stick it in the microwave ( don't turn it on). I also like to stuff newspaper at the bottom of the cooler, and on the top of the toweled meat as an added insulator.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

BuyLowSellHigh

As FLBR suggested, check the recipes he recommended.  They are two different styles and both are good, just different.

The one thing I would add is get a good quality whole brisket to start.  Brisket is a challenging piece of meat.  For your first stack the deck in your favor and get a good one. Only the best (and some of them, not me, are regulars in these forums) can take a poor brisket and have it come out as really good.  I prefer them in the 10-12 lb range as whole briskets, USDA Choice or Certified Angus Beef (aka CAB); I avoid USDA Select, which happens to be the common grocery store variety these days in the local TX mega marts.  What you can get will depend to a good degree on where you're located.  In TX every grocery store has whole "packer trimmed" briskets in the cryopac.  When I was in CO this summer I was checking out the meat case at the local Safeway - what they had as a whole packer brisket was in a cryopac, but it was a well trimmed flat at about 5 lbs average weight.  If what you find has been repacked in a store pack (foam tray and shrink wrap), it likely is a well trimmed piece of a whole.  If you have a good butcher nearby, this is a good opportunity to use him/her.  If no butcher and you don't see a true whole brisket in the case, talk to the head meat cutter and tell him what you are looking for.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: camoghost on September 28, 2010, 06:49:23 PM
???  ??? ???Ok stupid qoestion what is FTC??? ??? ???

Like GusRobin said, no stupid questions except the one you wanted ask but didn't.

These forums use a lot of acronyms.  On the Recipe site there's list decoded here:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=766#post766

camoghost

OK THANKS TO YOU ALL, you have helped allot. I do have a meat market close by and will have to visit them tomarrow. After reading the 2 recipes that was saggusted I thank I will try the WTC brisket. What would be a good (IT) to go with out of the smoker and out of the oven., the recipe said he really don't go for a temp but he would guess 190-205. What do you thank and thanks aging. I'll try to do pic's as I try this. It will probably be on Saturday.

GusRobin

I  go about 185 -190 then FTC.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: camoghost on September 28, 2010, 07:28:29 PM
OK THANKS TO YOU ALL, you have helped allot. I do have a meat market close by and will have to visit them tomarrow. After reading the 2 recipes that was saggusted I thank I will try the WTC brisket. What would be a good (IT) to go with out of the smoker and out of the oven., the recipe said he really don't go for a temp but he would guess 190-205. What do you thank and thanks aging. I'll try to do pic's as I try this. It will probably be on Saturday.

For WTS's recipe, which is a braise or boated finish, the temp out of the smoker is not important, so long as you don't overcook it. Just use the smoker to put on the smoke and start the cooking, then into the pan and finish in the oven.  It's a time thing in the smoker.  One cautions - once you add the liquid, close the pan and put it in the oven it will cook faster and even with the liquid can easily be overcooked.  Even with the liquid in a closed pan you can get a very dry brisket from overcooking.  That's the time to use IT as a guide and check for tenderness as the temp comes up.  Don't overdo it and you'll be fine.

camoghost

OK to my disappointment I have to wait a while before I can do my brisket. After reading the recipe over I missed the (wet aging) part, so I must wait a few days. OK here's my next question. What side is best top put up when in smoker and in house oven or dose it matter? I would thank cap up but that would just be my guess. I got a packer brisket 7.75lbs, is a USDA choice Angus pride a good cut to use? Hope so cause that was what I got. Well since I cant do my brisket I guess I will have to go set in my deer stand for a bit since bow seasson opens on the 1st of Oct, how important is it the aging and how long is the 2 weeks necessary.

FLBentRider

I don't do the wet aging part. Mine turn out fine.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

I wet age when it is convenient, do not if in a hurry.

Like FLB says, it'll be fine either way.

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

If you have an Angus Brisket, that thing is begging to get smoked.