pulled pork

Started by gb186, September 29, 2010, 08:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gb186

wife wants some pulled pork im thinking boston butt is this the best meat for that and if so how long should i smoke and cook it? already doing ribs

FLBentRider

Yup - you need a boston butt.

Your boston butt will need some rub.

Apply 4 hours of smoke @225F, and continue to cook @225F until the IT is 190F. This may take 16 to 20 hours.

FTC your butt for a couple of hours, pull and enjoy.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SouthernSmoked

Hey gb186, make sure to get a Boston Butt and not the Picnic Shoulder.

•   Apply a thin coat of yellow mustard,  
•   Apply rub, you can do this the day before and frig overnight – you may not have time to let sit over night and if not I would use a apple juice mixture and inject the butt just like you would a turkey.
•   Make sure the smoker is preheated to around 250-275 because once you open the door and set the meat on the rack you oven will drop. Make sure that you rest your butt with the fat side up, this will allow juices to flow through the meat. Keep an eye on this since you want to smoke between 220-235 degrees.
•   I normally don't even look at this for about 4-5 hours and at that time I will open the door and insert my digital thermometer and close the door until the butt is 165 degree
•   At this time I will begin to mop this with a vinegar base solution every hour.
•   Once the pork reaches 190 degree I will take it out and rest it on a bed of foil, then pour some of the mop over top and seal the foil.
•   At this point I will then set in my cooler wrapped in foil and several towels for about two hours.
•   Bring the butt inside and unwrap, if you like bbq sauce you want to coat a fine layer at this junction, and begin pulling.
•   I then begin to pull the pork (use my bear claws or you can use two forks) apart into chunks. Make sure to add in the bark, the dark brown layer, for added flavor. I have to say that because I have seen folks discard the outside bark thinking it is burnt or something. It is the best part.
•   I don't add the bbq sauce on this – I allow the user to do so.

I hope this helped.

Here is a link to one that I posted... http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17649.0
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

gb186

KyNola

My two learned friends have got your "butt" covered!  ;) :D

ArnieM

One other note.  Do it a day ahead of time.

Mix the chopped up bark with the pulled pork.  Bag it and put it in the fridge over night.  IMHO, this allows the smoke to settle.

Reheat in a slow cooker or a pot on a low burner when getting ready to serve.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

There are also a few recipes on the recipe site:
Pork Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tim_in_NC

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 29, 2010, 08:40:59 AM
Yup - you need a boston butt.

Your boston butt will need some rub.

Apply 4 hours of smoke @225F, and continue to cook @225F until the IT is 190F. This may take 16 to 20 hours.

FTC your butt for a couple of hours, pull and enjoy.

After the 4 hours of smoke in the Bradley ... is it ok to pull from the Bradley and Wrap with foil and then finish @ 225 F unit IT is 190 F via our internal, kitchen oven ???

KyNola

Tim,
it's perfectly OK to transfer to the house oven after the smoke period.  I've done it many time.  In fact, I prefer to do it that way as I feel I can maintain the heat more consistently in my house oven than the Bradley.  Whether to wrap in foil first or not is strictly a personal choice.  I don't wrap them before going into the oven.  I simply place them on a rack in an uncovered roasting pan.  My personal belief is that leaving them unwrapped makes for more bark.  Just my method.  Others wrap in foil.  Whatever you prefer to do.

Tim_in_NC

Quote from: KyNola on September 30, 2010, 10:30:57 AM
Tim,
it's perfectly OK to transfer to the house oven after the smoke period.  I've done it many time.  In fact, I prefer to do it that way as I feel I can maintain the heat more consistently in my house oven than the Bradley.  Whether to wrap in foil first or not is strictly a personal choice.  I don't wrap them before going into the oven.  I simply place them on a rack in an uncovered roasting pan.  My personal belief is that leaving them unwrapped makes for more bark.  Just my method.  Others wrap in foil.  Whatever you prefer to do.

Sweet ... thanks for the reply ...

KyNola

My pleasure Tim.  Hope it works for you.  Show us some pics of the finished product. (Notice I didn't say show us some pics of your butt?) :D