first time making bacon. need help

Started by bardfromedson, September 29, 2010, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bardfromedson

i got 7 pounds of pork  belly in the fridge ready to become my first crack at bacon.  i have mortons tender quick as cure but can't find the amount to use.  going to use the cure with maple syrup and brown sugar.

Tenpoint5

Now if you was using cure #1 I could be of more help. Since I have yet to use MTQ for making belly bacon I will back out on this one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

Here is what I use:

Bacon Cure (per pound)
1 Tbsp Morton tender quick
1 Tbsp brown sugar
ΒΌ cup maple syrup

Mix the Tender quick and sugar (NOTE: qty is per pound and each piece should be done separately if you have multiple pieces), rub all of it on the bacon, put in a large sealable baggie, add maple syrup to bag, seal and put in the fridge for 4 -5 days, flipping it over at least once a day. When done, take out, rinse and soak for 30 min in cold water. Pat dry let it dit in fridge overnight. Smoke the next day
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

bardfromedson

thanks. got it in the fridge now curing.  hope it tastes as good as its looking

VI_Smoker

I use Cure #1 so can't help on the MTQ measurements but I can say home made bacon is excellent and pretty easy to do.  You're going to love the results!!

GusRobin

Quote from: bardfromedson on September 30, 2010, 12:33:28 PM
thanks. got it in the fridge now curing.  hope it tastes as good as its looking
It will spoil you for other bacon. I haven't done much lately as I have a hard time finding a good pork belly around here.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.