Bradley Forum Christmas Gift Exchange II

Started by classicrockgriller, September 30, 2010, 09:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 09, 2010, 08:32:39 AM

The magic # when shipping to Canada is 2 pounds.  Any more than that, and the price goes up geometrically...

then we may want to go US with US; Canada with Canada , UK with UK.etc
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smoker pete

I'm game with anything that is decided but this summer I spent a month traveling through BC and Yukon on our way to Alaska.  When I tried to mail postcards to my 5 Grandchildren I found out that it would cost $1.08 Canadian/USD to mail ONE postcard.  Waited till I got into Alaska to mail the postcards at about $0.35 each.

I only mention this cause our Canadian friends might get the short end of the stick  ???

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

BuyLowSellHigh

I think postage could be an issue.  It depends on package size and weight.  Did a little checking on the USPS site using British Columbia as the destination, and checking rates for small packages.  Here's the kicker - small packages are very limited in allowed weight and size and staying within first class rates (there are no cheapo rates to Canada from the US, like third class, etc.).  Here are the limits:

241.242 Dimensions — Other Than Rolls
Packages (small packets) other than rolls must be within the following dimensions:

Maximum length: 24 inches. Length is the longest dimension.
Maximum length, height, and depth (thickness) combined: 36 inches.
Minimum size: Large enough to accommodate the postage, address, customs form, and other required elements on the address side.

and rates in USD:
16 oz:  5.01
32 oz   8.93
48 oz   12.85
64 oz   16.77

Go above that and you are into "large package" (over 64 oz or ANY dimension over 12" ???)  where a 3lb 12" x 12" x 18" package starts at $23.50 US and goes up, 5 lb same dimensions starts at $27.00 US.

ref:
http://postcalc.usps.gov/
http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_003.htm#ep2041503

Checked UPS for the same 3 & 5 lb package ... for 3 lb, standard , 10 days from me to postal code V5Z 2M9 (Vancouver) is  $18.55 US,  5 lbs is $20.62 US.  The next step up in service is well over $100.00 at the 3 lb size.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SouthernSmoked

I agree with BLSH on this, shipping can get costly coming from or going to Canada.

Let's wait and see what everyone else thinks though.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

RossP

The Canadian Postal rates do suck but we up here are sort of use to them.
I do cross the line to Washington State every once in a while to mail stuff.
Maybe it is best to keep Canada within Canada even though it hurts to say
that. I would love to get some of the rubs and stuff you have down there that
we cannot get up here.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

squirtthecat

Quote from: RossP on October 09, 2010, 05:01:54 PM
we cannot get up here.

Ross

Well, perhaps we can do something like that another time...

"Operation Rub some Canadian Butt"

or

"Let's help our Canadian brothers get Sauced"

Some kind of mass shipment(s) to a mail drop this side of the border, and one of your 'rum runners' can come get it, and distribute across the North.   Like Q did with the CT haul.

I sent a 4.5 pound box of stuff to Monty and it was almost ridiculous what it cost to ship.  (not that I minded - we were horsetrading - so I knew it would be a little pricey)

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 09, 2010, 05:26:51 PM
I sent a 4.5 pound box of stuff to Monty and it was almost ridiculous what it cost to ship.  (not that I minded - we were horsetrading - so I knew it would be a little pricey)

I sent a box to monty too! but I mailed it when I was in New Brunswick.

;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 09, 2010, 05:26:51 PM
Quote from: RossP on October 09, 2010, 05:01:54 PM
we cannot get up here.

Ross

Well, perhaps we can do something like that another time...

"Operation Rub some Canadian Butt"

or

"Let's help our Canadian brothers get Sauced"

Some kind of mass shipment(s) to a mail drop this side of the border, and one of your 'rum runners' can come get it, and distribute across the North.   Like Q did with the CT haul.

I was going to say " hey wait a minute, didn't do something like that once" but then you stole my thunder. :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

camoghost

I'm in no matter what. What ever is decided in fine with me. I new this year some of you did this last year so I'm sure you all will come up with a great plan, and am sure it will work out fine.

KevinG

So are these exchages going from person A gets person B and person B then gets person A, or is it Person A can get person B and person B can get person C?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KevinG on October 10, 2010, 04:29:00 PM
So are these exchages going from person A gets person B and person B then gets person A, or is it Person A can get person B and person B can get person C?

Or person D. ;D

Quarlow

It is random. you get whoever they pull out of the hat.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KevinG on October 10, 2010, 04:29:00 PM

Kevin that is the fun part in this whole thing. YOU the receiver of the gift have NO IDEA who is sending you your gift until it arrives. You only know who you have to send a gift to.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

camoghost

was just wondering if it was decided how we were going to do this. US to US and CANADA to CANADA or if we knew yet. I know it's still early but no one has said anything lately.

dman4505

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.