Just got the Bradley Digital Smoker!

Started by jshynky, October 04, 2010, 02:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshynky

Hi all,

I am a huge BBQ fan and have been doing my own rubs, bbq sauces and pulled pork, chicken, ribs for a while, but I have never tried smoking before and I have wanted to for a while! Anyways, I just got the Bradley Digital Smoker (4 rack) for an Engagement gift from the fiance (she is awesome). She knows i love bbq :) despite her being a vegetarian. She does eat fish, so i'll have to do up some smoked salmon for her, once I get the hang of it. Anyone have any tips for me on my first outing? I have been reading the forums, and will be opening the box tonight when I get home from work. Not sure what people mean by seasoning it.. but I'm assuming they mean breaking it in.. by using a couple pucks.. to get the smoke into the box? I don't plan on cooking anything today, unless it's something small to just give it a test...

albertapoacher

Hi Jshynky,

Your exactly right about seasoning it. In the booklet that comes with the smoker it explains that you clean the racks and then run a couple briquettes through over the period of an hour. It is very detailed and easy to follow.

If you did want to experiment with smoking something tonight, I myself did a block of aged cheddar with one cherry briquette. As I just opened up my new smoker last night, I just went through the same experience haha.

Right now I have some Coho on and just about to start marinating a second batch.

Enjoy and have fun with it!

Mike

Quarlow

Hi Jshynky, First off you are lucky to have a gal who would get you a meat processing appartatus when she doesn't eat meat. So I would thank her by giving her a nice jar of smoked almonds or other such nuts. They are easy to make and they taste great. If you want the recipe for those just ask. If you got the recipe book with your smoker it will likely be in there unless they have a newer version of the recipe book. If you have any questions just ask, someone will help you.
Albertapoacher, you say you put one puck of smoke to some aged cheddar. You may want to take it and put it back in the smoker for about 2 1/2 to 3 more hours. You may also want to build or buy a cold smoker attachment. I made mine out of a cardboard box. If you are interested in it I can post pics and instructions on how to do that.
As for seasoning the smoker it is meant to put a coating of smoke over the metal and to burn off anything left over from the manufacturing. The more it seasons overtime the better the flavour will be for your food.
And don't ever think it is a dumb question, cause we have all been there and we love to help make your smoking experience as postive as possible. There is a learning curve to it but with a little guidance you will get by it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

jshynky

That is awesome, thank you for the info. I will definitely have to get the directions for smoking the almonds. She is definitely a keeper and I can't wait to make her some smoked salmon once i get the hang of this beast :) I hope I'll have some time to season it tonight. I want to try making ribs Thursday, so I want to break it in a bit before then. Practice makes perfect!

albertapoacher

Thanks Quarlow,

I will pick up a cold smoke attachment for the smoker. And I will put the cheese back in there for a couple more hours.

Thanks,

Mike

classicrockgriller

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Goldy

I've done the schmancy smoked salmon from the amazing ribs site a couple of times now (on the portable propane bradley, I dream of digital), with fantastic reviews...  easy schmeasy

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/seafood/schmancy_smoked_salmon.html

Quarlow

Here is a very cool cold smoker adapter that one of the members made. You have to check this out.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16207.msg194162#msg194162
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Smoked Almonds
Ingredients
• 1 kg (2 lb) whole almonds
• 500 ml (2 c) kosher salt
• 1 to 1.2 l (4 to 5 c) warm water

Preparation
In a large bowl, mix salt with warm water until dissolved. Add almonds and soak for 24 hours. Drain almonds and allow to air dry.

Smoking Method
Place one layer of cheesecloth on smoker racks. Spread almonds evenly on cheesecloth. Place racks in the Bradley Smoker. Place one empty rack lined with cheesecloth in the top rack position. Using Hickory flavor bisquettes, smoke/roast almonds at approximately 90°C (200°F) for about 3 hours. Stir nuts around every ten minutes to ensure even exposure. At 1-1/2 hours alternate rack positions to allow even smoking. Cool and store in airtight containers.

To Serve
Smoked Almonds make an addictive snacking treat. A great hit at parties, they also make a welcome addition as hiking snacks. Other nuts, such as cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts or pecans can also be smoked, but make sure to stir nuts as you smoke to guarantee an evenly smoked product. For Sugar-spiced Smoked Nuts beat an egg white with a tsp of water until frothy. Remove nuts from smoker after 2 hours and toss in the egg white, then toss in 250 ml (1 c) sugar and 15 ml (1 tbsp) pumpkin pie spice. Continue smoking process for last hour.

OBS
BBQ

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little