Bacon Wrapped Chicken 911

Started by northernsandcarver, October 03, 2010, 01:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernsandcarver

Hi everybody,

My new smoker is being seasoned as we speak and once it's done I'll be trying the chicken.  I'm using Olds recipe but I'm not sure when to start the smoke and what temperature I should be cooking at.

Please help, thank you.

KevinG

I'm not sure which recipe you're talking about, but here's the time and temp with smoke from the breasts that Bears Fan did.

Temp was around 230 degrees.  Smoked them for a couple of hours and then cooked another couple of hours.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Up In Smoke

OOPS! anywhere from 230 to 250 should set you just fine
start the smoke a little before you put the chicken in, so it is rolling.
i like to give it about an hour and a half of smoke then cook till done.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

northernsandcarver

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I made out.  I'm so excited!

Kelly

northernsandcarver

Hi everybody,

Chicken turned out pretty good.  I personally thought I smoked just a little too much but everyone seemed to like it.  I don't know if it's the cheese I used, I forgot to buy provolone so I used cheddar and most of the cheese ended up at the bottom of the smoker.  The cheese that was hanging off the racks was pretty yummy though!

There has to be a way to hold the cheese in, I wonder if brushing the seams with egg would help?

Thanks again,

Kelly

bears fan

I've been turned onto a high temperature cheese that you can get from the meat department.  I'm assuming it is the kind that most meat departments use.  At our local store, I had to ask for it at the meat counter as it's not something they put on the shelves.  It does not melt as easy, so you don't lose it all oozing out of what you are cooking.

Habanero Smoker

There are two types of cheese that I know of that you can find in most gourmet cheese sections in supermarkets, that withstand heat and can be grilled; Halloume and Juusto (Baked Cheese). Either will work well. Halloume has great flavor, but Juusto comes in a variety of flavors and is not as salty.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 11, 2010, 02:07:36 AM
There are two types of cheese that I know of that you can find in most gourmet cheese sections in supermarkets, that withstand heat and can be grilled; Halloume and Juusto (Baked Cheese). Either will work well. Halloume has great flavor, but Juusto comes in a variety of flavors and is not as salty.

Smoked halloumi!!!!  Now why the heck didn't I think of that??? It's a staple on the grill at our house, we're surrounded by Turkish and Cypriot grocers around where I live, so it's cheap and plentiful... Will definitely be trying a couple hunks of it this coming weekend!

Habanero Smoker

ExpatCanadian;

I wish I lived where you are at. It cost $16.00/lb where I live. I love it but only grill it a few times a year.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)