Question on Buying Beef Brisket

Started by azamuner73, October 04, 2010, 09:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azamuner73

I finally tracked down and found a place that sells beef brisket.  Woohoo!
It's about $5-6 /lb so here is where my questions come in.  I asked them if it was a packers cut.  I am assuming packers' cut means the fat cap is still on it.  Now he told me they usually trim the brisket before selling it.  Do I want them to trim anything off?  A little bit or none?  The piece I was shown was about 83 bucks so I don't want to pay for extra fat if I don't need it all.

Can anyone give me some advice here and maybe show a pic of what it should look like so I don't mess up?
If I am correct, I want it just like it came in the sealed bag with all of the fat.  Help!

GusRobin

QuoteI am assuming packers' cut means the fat cap is still on it.  
A packers cut includes both the point and the flat. A flat cut just includes the flat. Either cut will, or should , have some fat cap on it. At the price per pound you mentioned, I would assume that it is a flat cut.
QuoteNow he told me they usually trim the brisket before selling it.  Do I want them to trim anything off?  A little bit or none?
With no fat on it, it will most likely end up dry. Even those that trim their briskets leave about 1/4 inch of fat. The packer cut will usually have much more fat than a flat cut and are usually at least 1/2 the $ per lb price you see on a flat. I usually buy packers cuts and leave most if not all the fat on it. That is a personal preference. Some just buy flats.
QuoteCan anyone give me some advice here and maybe show a pic of what it should look like so I don't mess up?
here is a link to a thread in another forum that help me when I was confused on what I was looking at or buying. Others will come along soon with more advice.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions as needed.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

azamuner73

So it looks like it's better to suck it up and pay the price with 100% of the fat attached.

I thought that was the case but I just want to be 100% sure of course.

I might do my very first brisket this weekend if I have enough $ left over.  Thanksgiving brisket.  hehe

FLBentRider

Quote from: azamuner73 on October 04, 2010, 11:18:30 AM
So it looks like it's better to suck it up and pay the price with 100% of the fat attached.

I thought that was the case but I just want to be 100% sure of course.

I might do my very first brisket this weekend if I have enough $ left over.  Thanksgiving brisket.  hehe

If you can get them to trim it down to 1/4 inch - let them.

I grouse @$3.26US/lb .. $6.00 hurts a lot.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Based on the price per pound (ouch) and the total price it sounds like a good sized packer.  One place I went to charged for say, 11 pounds, then trimmed it and still charged for the original  11 pounds.  The fat went into the ground beef bucket.

I'd take it as is.  You can cut off any excess fat yourself, bag it and freeze it.  It comes in handy for lean roasts. 

You might want to separate the flat and point and do one at a time.  The flat is good for slicing, the point is somewhat stringier but still good. 

Just my opinion.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

I would get it untrimmed. If he sell it trimmed, ask him if there is a lower price for untrimmed cut.

Here is another useful site:
Virtual Brisket
Brisket

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

azamuner73

Thanks for the info guys...I'll see what I can do.  Either get it cheaper per pound or trim it to 1/4.
If he trims it, then I'll see how much money I save.  If it's not much, then next time I will get it untrimmed.

Piker

I get my brisket from my s.i.l. and it comes with no fat at all. I have made about 50 lbs. of pastrami with great results but as of yet have not tried regular brisket. Thats my next project. Piker

FLBentRider

Quote from: Piker on October 07, 2010, 09:05:38 AM
I get my brisket from my s.i.l. and it comes with no fat at all. I have made about 50 lbs. of pastrami with great results but as of yet have not tried regular brisket. Thats my next project. Piker

The trimmed briskets make great pastrami, but no so much for BBQ brisket.

I take the IT of pastrami to 150-160, BBQ brisket 185-190 - the fat cap helps with the longer cook.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

Quote from: ArnieM on October 04, 2010, 01:35:45 PM
Based on the price per pound (ouch) and the total price it sounds like a good sized packer. 
Are your packers that much? Around here the flats are anywhere from $4 -$6 per lb; packers are around $2-$3 per lb depending upon the store and the type of meat (select, choice, etc)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.