Salmon knife ...

Started by MrBlitz, October 04, 2010, 04:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBlitz

Just wondering if anybody in Canada ... hopefully in the Vancouver area, has any suggestions for a salmon slicing knife ... preferably a granton style knife.  Something less than the $75 range would be really nice.  Any ideas at all where to look or should I simply bit the bullet and go with the Victorinox?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

BuyLowSellHigh

Don't know how this translates to Canada with shipping and duty, but here's a current great deal on the Forschner (Victorinox), and they do ship to C-eh-N-eh-D-eh

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=3534&src=GoogleBase&cam=Products&kw=3534

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

tsquared

Are you talking about a filleting knife, cleaning knife or just for slicing?
T2

RossP

I think MrBlitz is looking for a good knife to slice Lox very thin.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Habanero Smoker

As BLS pointed out, the Forschner 12 inch Slicer is a good knife at a good price. I've been using mine for about 4 years, every since Cook's Illustrated recommended them. Which ever knife you choose, try to find a blade guard to protect the knife's edge. If you shop around you will probably find a Canadian site that sells them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

BLSH,
Thanks for that link.  Had been looking for a salmon slicer myself.  Ordered the 14 inch rather than the 12 inch for just a couple dollars more.

manxman

This is the one I use and can recommend, depends whether it is available in Canada?

http://www.decuisine.co.uk/cookshop/knives/laguiole-salmon-knife.html?GAKN046
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MrBlitz

Hello group ...

I found a knife at House of Knives in Burnaby.  It is the Victorinox 12" salmon knife.  Currently on sale for $59 which is a cheap as I have seen in Vancouver.  There are US prices that are cheaper ... until you add the shipping costs.  Just thought I would throw it out there if anybody is interested.

Take care,
Peter

Habanero Smoker

Great! That is a good knife. You will be happy with it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

gofish

I like the RADA filleting knife. Available in Canada from whoever sells RADA here. I'm on the island and there are a couple of sellers here. Its under$50 and holds an edge very well.  Blade is just over 7". Would be better perhaps with another inch or two.
Cheers.
Amateurs built the Ark..... Professionals built the Titanic.

micman

MRblitz don't know if you found a knife yet, try stuffers.com look at the knives section. They are in Langley BC. Just down the road from Van.

Mickey

wkahler

Quote from: manxman on October 05, 2010, 12:29:59 PM
This is the one I use and can recommend, depends whether it is available in Canada?

http://www.decuisine.co.uk/cookshop/knives/laguiole-salmon-knife.html?GAKN046

Would love to get me one of those!!!  Not sure how or where to order it though LOL!!! 
The smoking lamp is lit!!!