ok here we go....

Started by bubtrauma, October 05, 2010, 04:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubtrauma

k..... guys i picked up the smoker from my buddy. Its not a digital it just has two switches. So what do i ask my butcher for, what questions or what should i tell him i want when it comes to my first brisket?

FLBentRider

You want a whole brisket if you can get one, a flat if that is all you can get, but NOT a "market trimmed" one (these do not have enough fat cap for a long cook)

Ideally, the fat cap should be at least 1/4 inch
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bubtrauma

ok got ya whole brisket with at least 1/4" fat cap. Will i have to do any trimming?

FLBentRider

You can trim it a little, but don't get too crazy.

Check out this guide - I don't do the wet aging part.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?525-WTS-Brisket&p=834#post834
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bubtrauma

Ok I have not done it yet but getting close. I set up the smoker that I borrowed from a friend and noticed the door not hanging well so I took a look at it and the top hinge pin was not in properly. The pin was behind the pin hole. I then put it right and now there is a huge open gap about 4 inche towards the door opening side at the top and the same distance along the side. I guess it has been like this for a while cuz the plastic magnet seal is squashed pretty good at the corner. I have ordered a new seal so now I have to wait AGAIN. Ohwell, patience RIGHT?

Bub
We'll gitter DONE.......lol

Slamdunk

Without a pic it is impossible to tell your particular situation, but many times those gaps will be eliminated when you heat up the smoking chamber.

You might try it out!!

BuyLowSellHigh

The first brisket question came up recently (from camoghost ) - you might find some good tips and suggestions in this thread from about two weeks ago.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18160.0
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

bubtrauma

Ok I am going to give it a try this weekend. I would appreciate if someone would get in once and a while to see if I have any question.

Thanx GUYS, Bub

KyNola

Are you kidding Bub?  Try to keep us out! ;) You'll do fine and we absolutely will be here for any help you may need.

bubtrauma

Ya scared me there for a second when I first read the post. :o

Thanx

bubtrauma

Ok, I will pick up brisket Friday from the butcher. and correct me as I go. btw keep in mind I want to have this for around 6 o'clock sunday. (around an eight lb. chunk)

Now what you will read below this point is what I have GLEANED from reading post info so if I am making a mistake JUMP IN ...ok.

I plan to rub friday after work and leave it in the fridge till when it goes in the smoker. When should I start the smoker and at what temp on the smoker do I put it in. I was going to put 4 hours of hickory smoke and leave the vent 3/4 open.

thanx for your help in advance
Bub

KyNola

This is my suggestion but I will yield to the others as there are many brisket experts on here and I'm not one of them.  If I wanted to serve at 6 on Sunday evening, I would start the smoking at 6 on Saturday evening.  Preheat your smoker to the highest heat(begin that at around 5:15) you can obtain and then place the brisket in.  I would be looking to use a temp of around 225 to smoke/cook the brisket but when you open the door to put the brisket in, you're going to lose a ton of heat.  When the heat starts coming back up, you can adjust your smoker to around 225.  The reason I am suggesting you start at 6 on Saturday evening is a brisket can take a long time.  If it gets finished early, you can FTC that that dude for several hours if necessary.

Others will be along with great advice.  Listen to them.  Mine is just a starting point.  Hang in there Bub!

bubtrauma

I am GOING to do this if it kills me. You guys are awesome Thanx.

I will keep ya up dated as I go stay tuned. YOU have NO idea how much of a challange this for me.

This all stems from trying brisket at Daves BBQ resturant in Bismark ND. I still DREAM about it. WHAT AN AWESOME MEAL.

With all yer help I know its going to be GREAT.

Bub

GusRobin

Quote from: bubtrauma on October 20, 2010, 09:08:58 AM
I am GOING to do this if it kills me. You guys are awesome Thanx.
I will keep ya up dated as I go stay tuned. YOU have NO idea how much of a challange this for me.

While it may seem daunting, it is much easier than you think. And as CRG says "you can't hurt it, it is already dead"

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BuyLowSellHigh

Bismark, ND ?  Brisket ???  That would be a find!

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but that will likely have a big influence on what you can get.  Here in brisket country (TX) a smallish whole packer brisket would be about 10 lbs, and that's a great size.  When I was in CO this summer what they had as "whole packer briskets" were only the flats, but packer trimmed and cryopacked, and they came in about 5.5 lbs (no point).

If you have a good butcher talk to him/her.  For your first I would suggest a whole packer brisket (flat and point),not trimmed, USDA Choice, and if they can get it (and you are willing to pay for it) Certified Angus.

KyNola has given you a good summary.  At 225 °F it should take ~ 1 - 1.5 hrs /lb.  As Pachanga has written, use IT as a guide to start checking for tenderness.  As this is your first, poke a time or two in the 165 - 180 range so you know what not yet feels like, then when it does go tender you will probably recognize it.  Two hours or more of FTC; I can hold 150+ °F in a good Igloo cooler with two big folded towels below and two more on top.

Do keep us posted.  We love pics.  In case you haven't seen it yet, here is a good reference on how to post pics in these forums.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=768#post768

Good smoking!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here