Need A Rub

Started by SmokinScott1, October 05, 2010, 07:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinScott1

Hi All, I am doing one of the biggest smokes I have done for Butts this weekend.  I guess total I will be doing about 70 lbs. of Butt.  The old Bradley is going to be getting a work out.  I need a good Rub that is not really salty.  Any suggestion.  I don't want to mess this up and have bad BBQ for I party I am having next Saturday.

DTAggie

G to the recipe link and find one you like

ArnieM

I certainly hope you're not gonna try to stuff 70 pounds in there.

As Aggie said, check out susanminor.org for some rubs.  Other than that, just make one going light on the salt and sugar.  The rub will only affect the outside.  It really doesn't penetrate much.  You can inject the butts with a light mix of butter/oil and a few spices for internal flavor.  The usual suspects, cumin, chile powder, dry mustard powder, etc.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

The Renowned Mr. Brown is my go to rub for pulled pork.

1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 cup Paprika
1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar (Raw sugar/Sugar in the raw) or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

You can find other rubs at the recipe site

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokinScott1

I had been looking at the Mr Brown Rub.  Looks like it might be a go. 

hal4uk

SS1, like Arnie said, with pork butt, the rub ain't gonna penetrate all that much.  Just pick a rub that sounds good to ya and roll with it.  8) 
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

I believe applying the right rub is one of the must important steps in making a good butt. I shave the bark off prior to shredding, then chop the bark and mix it well into the shredded pork. When well mixed, the flavors from the bark infuses with the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

This is what I have done on 3 different butts and they came out great.

Nov. 27 2009 put mustard rub on pork butt. 12lbs. Then applied 1/2 dry rub.Put in plastic bag
then in frig for 24 hours. Took out and spread rest of rub on and put in smoker. Outside temp
45. Used apple smoke.

Mustard sauce;
1 12 oz can flat beer
4 cups yellow mustard
1 tbsp tabasco
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper

Butt rub;
1/2 cup Black pepper
1/2 cup Paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp. Kosher salt
4 tsp. dry mustard(ground mustard is the same)
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Took butt out of frig and let get to room temp for 90 minutes before going in smoker.
preheated smoker to 260 then turned down to 220 when butt goes in. Smoked four hours
using apple. After smoke stops empty water pan and wood and fill water pan with water
and 2 cup of apple juice. Cook until internal temp gets to 195.Turn butts on racks.
Took about 15 hours.Then FTC for 2 hours. It was excellent.

Up In Smoke

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 07, 2010, 01:15:02 AM
I believe applying the right rub is one of the must important steps in making a good butt. I shave the bark off prior to shredding, then chop the bark and mix it well into the shredded pork. When well mixed, the flavors from the bark infuses with the meat.
Gotta go with Habs on this one..
I do not shave the bark, But i do remove the fat cap and place into a bowl, pull the butt and then drizzle the juice from the bowl
over the meat. it is even better the next day! and if you can vac seal it and then open the next day it will really kick up the flavor.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.