No longer a Dry-Aged Virgin

Started by Caneyscud, October 05, 2010, 03:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Yea, but then I'd have to walk to work for a week, and I'd be 10x as hungry because of it. I'd go from OMG this is soooo good, to OMG I'm dying of hunger AND have to walk to work.  ;D It does look good Caney!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Well, I just had to look it up.  This is a DIY article on dry aging at home.  http://www.askthemeatman.com/is_it_possible_to_dry_age_beef_at_home.htm
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Arnie;

When you dry age meat at home, make sure there are no foods that have strong odors. If there are strong odors in the refrigerator the meat will take on those odors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Good point Habs.  Thanks.  At least the fridge has a carbon air filter.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

Caney, maybe I missed it .. how much was that steak?     ;D

I can hardly believe that it took all these years, with your culinary prowess, to make it to the dry-aged beef side.  It's a different taste all together.  Some like it, some don't, and then there are folks like me who believe that dry-aged is what beef was meant to be.  Outside of steak houses, a couple of times each year I pull the trigger and go for the dry-aged steak thing.  When I do (very special occasions only) my go-to source is Lobel's in NY (use Google and check out the Butcher Shop).  I have found none better.  To say it is pricey is an understatement, but oh ... the experience.  USDA Prime, dry-aged, cut on shipping day, fresh, never frozen ...  I am getting giddy thinking about it.  The good part is Christams is one of those every year special occasions, so I am on the short side of the year in anticipation.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

squirtthecat

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on October 06, 2010, 06:53:10 PM
Lobel's in NY (use Google and check out the Butcher Shop)

USDA Prime, dry-aged, cut on shipping day, fresh, never frozen

If anyone draws my name for the Christmas Exchange...

HINT! HINT! HINT! HINT! HINT! HINT!  ;D

RAF128

In my youth I would have been able to eat a steak like that but not anymore.    Nowadays it's 4 - 5 oz of meat, a small baked potatoe and the dog still gets a treat.    That was one serious steak.

TTNuge

We had a vendor take us to lunch at Pittsburg Blue yesterday and I ordered the 24oz Dry Aged Porterhouse and while it was really good I think yours looks even better.  I watched Alton Brown dry age some steaks and have been thinking about it.  Maybe it's time to do something about it.

Outstanding!!

classicrockgriller

Caney that do look mighty nice!

Nice pics.

Caneyscud

Quote from: TestRocket on October 06, 2010, 10:46:27 AM
Good looking plate of food! Was if good enough to do it again?  ;D

Danged straight.  But I think I will go for $24.99 a pound next time.  I will have to wait for another time I'm bacherloring it - the wife type person of the house would not understand - She like a steak and all --- but she has her limits.  By the way, I paid cash - no paper trail!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

watchdog56

except your admission here ;D ;D