Smoking and non-smoking

Started by GusRobin, October 07, 2010, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

While the lamb was being smoked, I made some salsa. First I roasted the tomatoes, onions, serrano peppers and garlic. I did it in the oven since the Bradley was filled with the lamb.

Took the tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic;added salt, cilantro and processed. Then I let it simmered for a while.

After that I canned the salsa in the pressure canner. Only made a small batch to see if I liked the recipe. The dark jar is filled with the gravy I made with the lamb drippings. (I didn't "can" the gravy)

The lamb is done. (Like I said before, I like the look of hanging smoked meat.) Took it out at 2:30 so it took about 5 hrs at 240*.

Netting removed and ready to FTC for a while.

Out of the FTC and removed a piece for quality control testing

Plate with lamb, baked potatoes, and gravy.

The rest of the lamb is in the fridge. Tomorrow I will slice some for sandwiches and whatever. I will also cut some into lamb chunks. I thought I would try my hand at some lamb stew even though I have never made stew.

So tomorrow I will start with a cold smoke of cheese, ketchup, and paprika. I'll follow it with a chuck roast. While the smoking is happening I'm going to make some spagetti sauce and can it and take a shot at the lamb stew. So all that will be cooking while I watch football and hydrate the cook (me) with some Bud Light.  More pics tomorrow.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ArnieM

Boy, Gus, I could hit on that plate  :D :D

You might have to get another smoker.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

So Far that Looks Great Gus!! I need to get into this canning thing. No I dont I have to many other projects/Hobbies/Kids.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Pachanga

Salsa, with roasted romas, garlic, peppers, onions!  Fresh cilantro!  No worries on not liking that combo. You should have made more. 

Nice job.  It looks like this 'Bama Boy knows salsa and smoking.

How's the booze holding out?

Pachanga

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: hal4uk on October 07, 2010, 07:22:56 PM
How long will it take to cook all that?
Ohhhh, about a fifth.

A fifth ?   Amateur !

This ain't no training exercise, this is the real deal.  At least double that. Wouldn't want to risk electrolyte depletion during a marathon event.

Dang GR - sure looks good.  I'd say you have the lamb thing down.  And the salsa looks dynamite.  Keep the smoke rolling and the fluids flowing.

My wife quite regularly leaves for an extended period of time.  The only issue is she leaves me with our 5, 9 and 10 year old kids.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

GusRobin

QuoteHow's the booze holding out?

Had to make a restocking run ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

That was just a KEWL looking smoke.

The Leg looked majestic in a stocking and hanging like that.

Salsa sounds good also. I like warmed Salsa. Yummmmm!