Smoked Tri-Tip

Started by smoker pete, October 06, 2010, 03:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Here in Northern/Central California we dearly love our Tri-Tips and people take great pride in boasting about their Tri-Tips.  I have always trimmed the fat (like you get them at Costco or any Supermarket), used a special dry rub that a friend mixes, then placed in the fridge overnight.  I then sear them on the grill, wrap them in foil, returned them to the grill at a lower temperature with fat side down so that the fat would burn if the heat was too high and not the Tri-Tip, pulled them at 140ºF and placed them in a cooler for about 20 -30 minutes.  Slice thin and serve or save it for some great Tri-Tip sandwiches.

But I have always wanted to smoke one.  Did some research on the Forum and online and decided to make the leap and add Smoked Tri-Tip to my repertoire  :)

Costco does not carry cryovac Tri-Tip with the fat cap on.  Checked Smart & Final and not only found cryovac Tri-Tip with fat cap but it was on sale for 25% off.  Tri-Tip is so popular nowadays that you wind up paying a premium price at times.

Here are the Tri-Tips (5 of them) at $3.29/lb ... after 25% off I was able to get the tips for $2.47/lb

Here you can see the marbling on one tip and the fat cat on another

Vacuum sealed the 5 Tri-Tips.  Put 4 in the freezer and keeping 1 out to smoke tomorrow of Friday

Here is what I'm thinking of doing ...

- The Tri-Tip is about 3 lbs
- Rub EVOO on Tri-Tip and then rub it with a mix of 50% Montreal Steak Seasoning and 50% Johnnies Garlic Spread & Seasoning (found this on Forum, I think)
- Place in fridge overnight
- Remove from fridge 1 hour before smoke to bring to room temp
- Place in preheated 225ºF OBS with 2 hours of Mesquite smoke.  Since Tri-Tip is about 3 lbs I figure 2 hours of smoke should be enough
- Pull at 140ºF and FTC for 20 - 30 minutes
- I'm thinking that maybe 1.5 hrs/lb.  Maybe I can smoke this guy in 4 to 4.5 hrs

What do you guys think?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

FLBentRider

Sounds like a plan.

When I do them, I smoke them until the IT is 100F, then rest and onto a hot grill for a sear until the IT is 130F.

140F is a bit much for us.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smoker pete

FLBR, you must like it to Mooooo at you when you look at it  ;D  ;D

smoker pete

Haven't been able to find any Oak Bisquettes locally  but I do have Jim Beam and Special Blend Bisquettes which I have never used before.  How would Jim Beam or Special Blend taste on that Tri-Tip?  Should I reserve the Mesquite for a brisket?  Have yet to smoke beef so I have nothing to go by right now.  Thanks

FLBentRider

The Jim Beam are made of Oak Jim Beam Barrels. I'd go with those.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Quote from: smoker pete on October 06, 2010, 04:17:58 PM
FLBR, you must like it to Mooooo at you when you look at it  ;D  ;D

Yes we do... sometimes we only take ribeyes to 124F

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smoker pete

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 06, 2010, 04:20:21 PM
The Jim Beam are made of Oak Jim Beam Barrels. I'd go with those.
I kind of have a weak spot for Jim Beam now and then  :-[   I think I'll take your suggestion and forgo the mesquite and try the Jim Beam.

smoker pete

Got the Tri-Tip ready for tomorrow with an initial rub of EVOO and then with a mix of 50% Montreal Steak Seasoning and 50% Johnnies Garlic Spread & Seasoning.  Never used this rub before but it should be good.

Here is the Tri-Tip ready to go in the fridge overnight.  Had to rub my innards too  ;D ;D Used a little JB Black to commemorate the use of Jim Beam bisquettes tomorrow.  One can't be too careful!!

beefmann

looks good as i am also doing tri tip tomarrow

squirtthecat

Love that Johnny's garlic spread!   We finally ran out...    I need to order some more.

smoker pete

Quote from: beefmann on October 08, 2010, 07:42:51 AM
looks good as i am also doing tri tip tomarrow
How do you do yours beefman?

oakrdrzfan

I have not smoked tri tip before.  I like mine marinaded overnight and grilled to 128F.  Perfect that way.  140 would be too done for my liking.

SouthernSmoked

Looks good smoker pete - any updates?
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

smoker pete

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on October 08, 2010, 12:42:43 PM
Looks good smoker pete - any updates?

Preheating the OBS as I type.  Will be inserting tip in 20 minutes.

smoker pete

OBS at 250º.  Applied 7 bisquettes of Jim Beam.
Here is the tip after 3 hours ... pulled at 140º IT

Sliced open after 45 minute FTC

The money $hot ... served with some sauteed mushrooms/onions, beans, and grilled taters