Lake Whitefish

Started by Smokeville, October 09, 2010, 11:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

I've had requests for Whitefish (usually from Georgian bay) and finally found some.

I've also seen this thread..... http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9580.0

Has anyone else smoked Whitefish? I'm not sure about the soya sauce in that brine since it will colour the fish.

Would treating it like trout be the best idea?

Thanks, Rich

Smokeville

Well, I tried it with a regular brine of salt, sugar and water.

Turned out great! Very tasty.

I suspect it's hard to get except around the Great Lakes.

Thunder Fish

I used to smoke them all the time when I lived on the prairies(central Canada),usually in the winter ice fishing.For all my fish I do not use a brine as it makes no sense to add moisture to something you are trying to semi dry out.Most will argue that you "NEED" a brine to get the flavor into the meat,I do try a "secret" brine now and than and still go back my dry spice recipe.
In a stainless pot spread out a sprinkling of non iodized salt,granulated garlic powder,dehydrated onion and coarse black pepper( a sprinkle of brown sugar if you would like also),layer of fish and repeat and layer until your out of fish, let that sit in the fridge for at least 8 hrs,than rack them like you would any other fish,than smoke with something mild(apple,pecan or alder).I did some Rocky mountain white fish this spring( living on the west coast) that turned out very well.
I smoke trout and salmon this way also and have converted a few "briner's" to my method.Next time your smoking fish try one fish with this method and see what ya think................ ::)

RAF128

Quote from: Smokeville on October 09, 2010, 11:48:59 AM
Has anyone else smoked Whitefish? Thanks, Rich

Nope, I find them too hard to light ;) ;D.   Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
I've never done it myself but have tried some done by others.   Don't know their recipe and everyone has their favorite.
You could try this, it might be what you're looking for.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?140-A-Recipe-For-Smoked-Fish.

Smokeville

Thanks ThunderFish -- that sounds like a plan. For sure, Lake Whitefish had lots of moisture. I did brine but I like your method.

Rich

Prdtrgttr

I know this is an old thread, but it was still useful to me. I have tried the dry rub,  sounds like it's not too scientific, so I added more brown sugar, a little cayenne pepper, didn't have the onion powder...letting it sit for 24 hrs. What time frame/temp do you recommend for smoking?

Smokeville

Quote from: Prdtrgttr on March 12, 2013, 10:06:30 AM
I know this is an old thread, but it was still useful to me. I have tried the dry rub,  sounds like it's not too scientific, so I added more brown sugar, a little cayenne pepper, didn't have the onion powder...letting it sit for 24 hrs. What time frame/temp do you recommend for smoking?

I used the same schedule and temps as for salmon, but left it at 180F until it firmed up. Probably an extra hour?