Greetings from Mukilteo

Started by defibr, October 10, 2010, 09:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defibr

Hi,
I've had my Bradley Original for about 2 years, and I joined this forum back then, but haven't been back much.  I've only used my smoker for salmon thus far, but am now very interested in moving on to more interesting things.  Pulled pork, whole turkeys, brisket, etc.

I also just received my Aubry Ins. dual probe controller this week.  In wall (I know- dangler's are better  ;D ) probe and the dangler meat probe.  I am REALLY looking forward to firing this thing up- up here on the hill I get a fair amount of wind and keeping a steady temp is a bear using just the rheostat and the vent.  I didn't want to tackle anything more difficult than salmon until I got this.  Plus, it took a great deal of babysitting to keep the temp just right.  With 13 month old twin girls, I don't get alot of time to babysit much other than them! 

So, I will be looking to you more experienced folks to pass along your knowledge via previous posts. I promise I will search old posts before asking a redundant question but please don't flame me if I do. 

I look forward to picking your brains!
Trevor

hal4uk

Welcome Trevor!  Uhhh... Where is Mukilteo?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

defibr

Mukilteo is in Washington and is between Seattle and Everett overlooking Puget Sound.  I can't see it from MY house, but it provides lots wet, marine air and wind....

It's pronounced  Muk  ul  tea  oh.

Kummok

Camai from Alaska, Trevor! Not only do I know where it is and how to pronounce it, I've actually visited Mukilteo during an extended visit to Kirkland....beautiful (and wet!) little burg.

Don't be concerned about getting flamed much on this site...a pretty friendly and helpful crowd here. Any flaming going on here is mostly just to produce wonderful smoke!!

defibr

Thanks Kummok!

I've actually tried your smoked salmon recipe- I think it was the first one I used.  It was very good although, being a minimalist, I have found that I enjoy a simple brine of salt and brown sugar more than any of the multi-ingredient brine recipes I have tried.

I haven't ever been to your neck of the woods in Alaska, but back in the early '80s I worked for 2 summers mining for gold on a remote mine out of Kantishna.  Long drive through the park (before they absorbed the mining district) to get there then a long ride over the tundra to get to the mine.  It was a great experience living in the bush for 3 months at a time.  Something I will remember (and speak about) often.  I REALLY wish there were digital camera's back then.  I have 3 or 4 snapshots from back then so I have a difficult time getting people to understand how remote and primitive it was.  Hell, I have taken more photos than that of a single batch of fish coming out of my Bradley!

Take care and I look forward to smoking with you! Next time you going are in Kirkland look me up!  It would be great meeting up with some fellow Bradley users.  I don't know anybody else that has one.

Trevor

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum defibr!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Welcome Trevor!
My wife's family is from down south of you in Tacoma..

And I've been on some of those mining roads in Denali.  Took a 'monster truck tour' down some of the old paths, across some rivers, etc.

RossP

Welcome to the forum Trevor. The guys here are nice and more than
willing to answer any questions you have. Nice to have some more members form the
Pacific Northwest.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

SouthernSmoked

Welcome Back to the Forum defibr!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG