Liquid smoke??

Started by Aggiesrwe03, October 09, 2010, 10:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggiesrwe03

Has anyone made liquid smoke while they were using their BS if so how did it turn out and how did you do it?

-Chris
"Save your forks, the best is yet to come"

Quarlow

Oh god did he say the "L" word. for shame.  :D :D :D I think there has been a couple of liquid smoke making experiments at some point before I came around. I know some of the guys were talking about it on here awhile back.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Well.... If you keep your vent closed when smoking, say a chicken, the moisture from the poultry will hang around in the cabinet and condense on the ceiling, dissolving the smoke that has adhered to the surface of the smoker, which will then rain down on your food.

Not exactly liquid smoke but close...

I would think that one would have to duct the smoke into some sort of cooling apparatus which would cause the smoke to condense on the cool surface, and then you could catch that run off, and further distill it if necessary into liquid smoke.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

You can make your own L S by burning wood in a tall Chimenea (one of those tall clay Mexican fire pits you have on your patio RIGHT).

Put a round bunt pan on top of the chimney so the smoke rises through the hole in the middle of the pan. On top of the bunt pan put an inverted pie plate, and on top of that put a bag of ice.

The smoke will rise through the center hole of the bunt pan, hit the cold pie plate, condense, and run down the sides of the plate into the bunt pan.

WOWSERS.......homemade liquid smoke.

Quarlow

There you go, that is the method I was mentioning.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Aggiesrwe03

Thanks nepa that's exactly what I was looking for!! I knew essentially I would have to make a still to condense the smoke, I just wasn't sure what the best equipment to use was thanks again!!!

-Chris
"Save your forks, the best is yet to come"