Carolina BBQ sauce

Started by Aggiesrwe03, October 09, 2010, 10:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggiesrwe03

Hey guys I'm looking for a good Carolina style sauce (mustard based saw I presume) hard to find in my neck of the woods but man it is good!!  If you have one you'd like to share I'll gladly share a Texas style sauce recipe!!

-Chris
"Save your forks, the best is yet to come"

Habanero Smoker

Hi Chris;
Welcome to the forum.

There are a variety of Carolina style mustard sauces. You will often see many members speak of Carolina Treet; a commercial mustard sauce. Here is a Carolina style from the recipe site:
Yellow Sauce

Here is a mustard sauce (not Carolina style) that is also from the recipe site:
Mustard Sauce

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 10, 2010, 01:56:41 AM
You will often see many members speak of Carolina Treet; a commercial mustard sauce.

There is no mustard in Carolina Treet.

There is wheat flour - this makes it a "cooking" sauce for a rub base or basting/mopping, not a table sauce.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Chris, take a look here for couple different Carolina sauces..

hal4uk

Hey Chris, what's that Tejas sauce recipe?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 10, 2010, 04:56:05 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 10, 2010, 01:56:41 AM
You will often see many members speak of Carolina Treet; a commercial mustard sauce.

There is no mustard in Carolina Treet.

There is wheat flour - this makes it a "cooking" sauce for a rub base or basting/mopping, not a table sauce.

Thanks for the correction. I've never had the stuff.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Aggiesrwe03

Found a sauce that is similar to what I was looking for here's what I found

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon liquid smoke hickory

Combine all except soy and butter simmer 20 mins then add remaining ingredients simmer 10 more mins allow sit cool and REFRIGERATE OVER NIGHT. I can't stress that enough it was pretty bad until it had a chance for the for the flavors to merge I also did not add the liquid smoke because I think it taste fake.  All-in all this sauce was pretty good not sure it's restaurant or competition worthy but it's good on chicken and sausage 

Stand by for the Texas sauce recipe I have To do some conversions because we make it 10 gallons at a time so I'll have to adjust the recipe a bit!!! Stay tuned

-Chris

punchlock

Quote from: Aggiesrwe03 on October 11, 2010, 05:02:41 PM

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter

Combine all except soy and butter simmer 20 mins then add remaining ingredients simmer 10 more mins allow sit cool and REFRIGERATE OVER NIGHT. I can't stress that enough it was pretty bad until it had a chance for the for the flavors to merge I also did not add the liquid smoke because I think it taste fake.  All-in all this sauce was pretty good not sure it's restaurant or competition worthy but it's good on chicken and sausage 

Stand by for the Texas sauce recipe I have To do some conversions because we make it 10 gallons at a time so I'll have to adjust the recipe a bit!!! Stay tuned

-Chris

I have made this sauce on many occasions and it is a winner in my books

DTAggie

Welcome Chris from a fellow Aggie. 

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Aggiesrwe03 on October 11, 2010, 05:02:41 PM

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter

-Chris

Looks Great Chris.

Just one question.... 1/2 ___?___ Soy Sauce

Thanks
Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Looks like a nice mustard sauce with a Tex-Mex twist. If you haven't made it yet, you may want to reconsider adding liquid smoke. That may interfere with the smoke flavor of the pulled pork. You can always add the liquid smoke to the sauce later if you are not satisfied with the way it tastes without the liquid smoke.

Looking forward to reading your Texaz style sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Aggiesrwe03

@DTaggie WHOOP!! You still in the BCS area??

@ Mike sorry it's half a tbsp of soy

@habenero yeah I didn't add the liquid smoke in there cause I don't like the way it tastes kinda hokey flavor it was good but really had to sit overnight before it was edible in my opinion

DTAggie

Chris I am in the Dallas area, you?  I get back down there quite a bit as best man in my wedding and his family live there.