Another newbie question about jerky

Started by AlamanceNC, October 10, 2010, 10:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlamanceNC

I've got a few packs of this Hi Mtn. jerky mix.
Instructions for whole lean muscle jerky say nothing about adding water to the ingredients. I'm assuming this is just a "dry rub". However, the only jerky I've ever made before we marinated over night in liquid. The ground jerky recipe in the pack says 1/4 of water. I'm confused I guess. Can't see making jerky that has sat in dry rub 24 hours without any liquid to penetrate the meat. Any help would be nice.

FLBentRider

Yes its a dry rub.

I make this kind all the time.

Depending on how thick you meat is cut, you leave it in the fridge longer before drying/smoking.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

AlamanceNC

1/4 inch London Broil strips. I'll do 24 hours and start the smoke tomorrow. Thanks.

FLBentRider

Funny thing is - All I've ever done it the dry way.

I use the Hi Mtn bulk cure, and add my own spice combination.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

armpower

try this,   after you layer your meat in the pan poor over  equal parts soy, Worcester sp? and a dark dark beer. or a shot of your fav whisky    let sit for at least 24hrs before you dry

very very good.  comes out a little sticky from the soy but man it is good

Chili Head

I make jerky about every two weeks and use only whole muscle. I have used the High Mountain with and without water and it comes out good either way. The flavor is stronger without water though. The 10lbs I made earlier this week I used water in the mix and the wife loves it. My advice is if you're making it for you and you like bold flavors don't use water. If someone else will be eating it that likes a more mild flavor to their food use water. I also use hickory for 1.5 hours for 8 racks of meat at a time.

R.Woodward

Dry rub is my preference for whole muscle jerky. I figure why add water to a product you're going to be drying out later? I've never had a problem with cure penetrating the meat, however I use a slicer and the strips are @ 1/16 inch thick.