Salmon Brine/Cure Question

Started by Whatchasmokin, October 08, 2010, 09:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatchasmokin

I am smoking some salmon on Sunday. I will be using Kummok's recipe on half of it and want to use Hi Mountains Jerky Cure & Seasoning (Inferno Blend) on the other half. I need to know if I can use the cure/seasoning in a wet brine. The instructions indicate that it can be used on fish, but only mentions applying the cure/seasoning dry.

Any help would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
The time to hesitate is through............James Douglas Morrison

Habanero Smoker

I'm not familiar with High Mt. products. The only information I could find on Hi Mountains Jerky Cure & Seasoning, are instructions for dry brining or seasoning. Without instructions, it would be difficult to convert this product for wet brining. Wet brining requires a greater volume of salt, cure and other ingredients compared to dry brining.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

Quote from: Whatchasmokin on October 08, 2010, 09:15:06 PM
only mentions applying the cure/seasoning dry.

Any help would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Hi mountain cures and spices are meant to put on dry.   

Whatchasmokin

Well....I used Kummok's recipe up to the seasonings and added the seasoning from the Inferno Blend instead (the seasoning and cure are packaged separately). We will see how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses.  ;D  ;D

Jay
The time to hesitate is through............James Douglas Morrison

Habanero Smoker

Since the cure is package separately from the seasoning, then throw the cure away and it is well worth the effort to experiment. Besides the cure would have altered the taste of your salmon any way.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)