Heat Differential

Started by thirtydaZe, October 11, 2010, 10:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

Did my 2nd smoke Saturday, chicken and ribs.  started at about 3, and the day was unseasonably warm, but by 8pm it was back down into the 60's.

Started my smoker to pre heat, and turned it up to 250, put the ribs in when the thermometer read 230 inside the box and then backed the temp down to 220. 

I was able to keep temp roughly at 220 to 225 with the 230 setting.

However, as the night went on, i had to have my thermometer set at 280 and even 290 to maintain the 220 to 225 rage of the box.

Does the drop in the outside temp really affect this that much, or is something wrong here?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

GusRobin

what was your vent set at? Was it windy at all?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

thirtydaZe

i had it wide open.  early there was a breeze, but the wind did die down to almost nothing by evening.

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

watchdog56

I just check my 4 RD with my PID and Maverick T-73 yesterday. Was glad to know my PID is working right.Temps were within 1 degree. But when I turned on the smoker box without the PID my temp showed about 15-20 degree difference from what Maverick was saying. It seemed to hold true whether the reading was from bottom or top of cabinet. Smoker box read 250 but Maverick went to 230. I think it is better to use just the tower for temp once the smoke portion is off. If you need more temp later you can always turn smoke generator back on.

thirtydaZe

Quote from: watchdog56 on October 13, 2010, 08:22:48 AM
I just check my 4 RD with my PID and Maverick T-73 yesterday. Was glad to know my PID is working right.Temps were within 1 degree. But when I turned on the smoker box without the PID my temp showed about 15-20 degree difference from what Maverick was saying. It seemed to hold true whether the reading was from bottom or top of cabinet. Smoker box read 250 but Maverick went to 230. I think it is better to use just the tower for temp once the smoke portion is off. If you need more temp later you can always turn smoke generator back on.

the more i read about the PID the more i'd like to get my hands on one.

i've seen links to the site that sells them, but what is the most popular?

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Tenpoint5

Quite a few have the Single probe version. Which will work just fine IMHO. I dont know enough about the dual probe version to make comments on it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Toker

The fun thing with the new dual 1202 is that you can cook more than one piece of meat at the same time unlike the 1201. Ex: you want to cook 2 butts at IT of 195 You set your pid at 200 ex just to make sure it does not close your heater after 195 but you set your AH2 at 195 (meat probe alarm) so when your 1st piece of meat reached 195 the pid does not close the heater and you have time to switch your meat probe from 1st piece of meat to the 2ND. Of course you can always do it with your maverick if you rather but it's nice to have this feature on the pid.

GusRobin

The dual vs single PID is a matter of convenience in lieu of need.
I have the OBS - so the dual PID allows me to control when the smoke generator starts and stops - now if you have not installed a second element, you may want the SG on for the added heat.
The dual allows you to turn off the heater based upon internal temp of the meat; or if you are cooking something that you want to ramp up the temp, it would allow you cook at say 200 until the IT reaches 140 and then cook at 230 until the IT (or time) reaches your shut off value. I am not into sausage making (yet ----toys cullinary instruments are on their way) but I imagine it is usefull for this.
Bottom line, if your budget can afford it, get the dual. If you would rather spend the $$ difference on something else, a single PID will work; others smoke without a PID at all. If you are going to add a second element than you should buy some type of controller.
Regardless of which one, get it with the hanging probe, not the wall mounted one. You will have more flexibility.

So, the bottom line -do what you can afford as long as you leave a little extra for the required adult beverages.
Just my $0.02
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

thirtydaZe

if anyone can help quick, i'm about to purchase this pid:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151&zenid=b3ef9977850b0bc862c2de0c504b01dc

good, bad, indifferent?

would you suggest something different?

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Toker

Man you can't be wrong with this one and this model 1202 has been released last week. I tested personally this summer THE BEST PID EVER!!

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: thirtydaZe on October 15, 2010, 09:46:20 AM
if anyone can help quick, i'm about to purchase this pid:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151&zenid=b3ef9977850b0bc862c2de0c504b01dc

good, bad, indifferent?

would you suggest something different?

Hey thirtydaZe, I agree with toker on this one. Great unit.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

GusRobin

Go for it - get the hanging probe not the wall mount.

thirtydaZe

$201.00 Shipped!

Thanks for the input guys.

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Toker

Great! you won't regret it!  :D

thirtydaZe

so i've been looking at it, and setup looks very simple, just plug and play.

if anyone has time, can you give me a quick cliff notes version of how it actually operates?

does this completely render the control/timer function on the digital box completely useless?

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16