1st Jerky Attempt

Started by AlamanceNC, October 11, 2010, 01:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlamanceNC

Got some variety packs of Hi Mtn. jerky seasoning and cure.
Followed instructions and along with some help from a few of you I had them curing in the fridge for 24 hours.

Anyhow, my daughter wanted to try Mandarin Teriyaki......I did an hour and a half of maple smoke at 150-155*.....
Removed water bowl and bumped it up to about 160-167*. Funny thing is, when I had them laying out on the counter resting before putting it in the smoker I had nice dark color to the meat. Suprisingly enough I've now got a what I consider to be a nice red tone on the meat after smoking. There were some smaller pieces that were done in around 4 hours so I had to sneak a bite. Not too bad.
I'm defenitely going much hotter on the batch. This is kids jerky here.

AlamanceNC

Finished product. Total of around 6 hours from start to finish. Smoker never got about 172*.......everyone is pleased with the results.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

NePaSmoKer

Keymaster

I would have to say thats some butcher shop quality Jerky yah got goin there!!!!  :o

BigJohnT

Looking good, but the inside of your smoker is way too clean  ;D

John

AlamanceNC

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 12, 2010, 07:05:17 AM
Looking good, but the inside of your smoker is way too clean  ;D

John
I'm trying my best to dirty it up.....I've only been able to cook on it a half dozen times since getting it a few weeks ago.

bears fan

Why do you not have your v-tray in there?  You should keep that in there so no drippings get onto your heating element because it could cause a fire.  I would personally put the water bowl back in as well.

Good looking jerky!

BigJohnT

If your into making jerky you might want to check out the extra rack kits at SmokeandStuff.com

John

AlamanceNC

Quote from: bears fan on October 12, 2010, 06:32:16 PM
Why do you not have your v-tray in there?  You should keep that in there so no drippings get onto your heating element because it could cause a fire.  I would personally put the water bowl back in as well.

Good looking jerky!
Water bowl was in place to catch the pucks but after that I removed it. As far as the v-tray.....didn't have a problem with the jerky dripping at all. It was a dry rub recipe to start with.....they were allowed to "drip" (which was hardly any) for almost an hour on the counter before going into the smoker. I'm not doing jerky with a water bowl in place. Defeats the purpose of drying out if you ask me. This was my first attempt at jerky in the Bradley and my first time using Hi Mtn. products. Everyone was very pleased and cleanup was virtually nothing.