Pork Butt Compilation of two posts:

Started by Fuzzybear, March 18, 2004, 03:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Bill,
Sounds like you have a good plan.  I would smoke only for the four hours.  IMHO, the meat dosen't take on a whole lot more smoke flavor after that.  I also (for pulled pork) cook until 195f wrap and rest for a hour or so.  Make sure the meat is at room temp and fill the water bowl with hot water as well.[:)]  Don't forget to crack the vent a little or you'll get moisture build up.  I usually only cook for my family so I've never cooked two butts, but I would cook at 200f probally take 12-15 hrs.  Just don't rush it, low and slow are words to live by in my book.  Also read Fuzzybear's post at top of page it has good info in it.  Happy Smokin'

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me. Have them out now at room temp. Will toss in the smoker about 3 hrs from now, and make sure the smoke went well before I hit the sack. Anticipate the hours you guessed, and will check at 4 a.m. and as I leave out the door for work at 5:00 a.m.

I think I will go with the 200-205 degree temp and have the wife pull them if they look like they are at temp. Cooking slower should have them ready to pull when I get home at 3 p.m. and put into the cooler for a spell.
Anxious to try out this sauce from Willingham's.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Willingham's hot BBQ sauce
4   cups   tomato sauce
1-1/2   cups   cola or beer
1-1/2   cups   cider vinegar
1-1/2   cups   chili sauce -- (mild)
1/4   cup   yellow mustard
1/2   cup   bottled steak sauce -- (a-1 sauce)
2   ea   juice from 2 lemons
1/2   cup   Worcestershire sauce
2   Tbs.   vegetable oil
1   Tbs.   soy sauce
2   tea.   Tabasco sauce(to 3 tsp)
1-1/2   cups   brown sugar -- packed
2   Tbs.   black pepper -- freshly ground
2   Tbs.   garlic salt
1   Tbs.   dry mustard
In a sauce pan, combine the tomato sauce, cola, vinegar, chili sauce, mustard, steak sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, oil, soy sauce and Tabasco sauce.
Stir well and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
In a small bowl or glass jar with a lid, combine the brown sugar, pepper, garlic salt and mustard.
Stir or shake to blend.
Add the dry ingredients to the sauce in the pan and stir well.
Increase heat to medium high and bring to a brisk simmer, stirring frequently. Cook for about 20 minutes or longer for a thicker, more intensely-flavored sauce.
Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes until flavors are well blended.

Use immediately or cool and store in refrigerator.
Flavor improves after standing in refrigerator for 24 hours.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I know the wife will be doing up some enchiladas with some chicken she is doing(about 6-8 dozen chicken and the same amount of pork, then into the freezer with leftovers for sandwiches and some nachos.
Hope it is as good as you all document!
Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.