Whole Turkey

Started by Fuzzybear, March 21, 2004, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout

Thanks for the info Curtis.  What was the status of the vent on your smoker when you did the turkey.  Was it open/closed, maybe halfway?  This will make a big difference on what temp the smoker will reach.  Every detail is important to the rest of the gang here, so that we can recreate results from person to person.  Isn't it fun to practice with something in which you get to eat the test results.  I wonder if Bradley Inc. needs a taste tester.  That's the job for me.[:D][:D]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Curtis Jackson

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trout</i>
<br />Thanks for the info Curtis.  What was the status of the vent on your smoker when you did the turkey.  Was it open/closed, maybe halfway?  This will make a big difference on what temp the smoker will reach.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

While I was maintaining temp at around 225, the vent was open about 1/4 of the way (that's how I usually hot-smoke; for cold-smoke I leave it wide open). When I decided to crank the temp after the smoke was done and I just wanted to finish cooking, I closed the vent completely except for the tiny space needed to get the Maverick wire through the vent.

I am plugging into a 110v convenience outlet attached to our in-ground pool pump equipment pad, using a heavy-gauge 10-foot extension cord. I am beginning to think that perhaps that outlet is under-powered, especially given the things I read elsewhere about people heating up to 350 degrees in 45 minutes and the like with much lower ambient temps. We have had a fantastically warm spring, temps in the high 80s, and yet I have never been able to get my smoker above about 250 degrees.

My other theory is that I have too much water in the catch pan, and it is the mass of the water that is dampening the heating process (pun intended).

Curtis Jackson
[email protected]

Fuzzybear

Out here in So. Cal., mine won't go above 250 either...I never gave it a thought as I would not consider smoking above that temp anyway....

Is this a problem?

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Curtis Jackson

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Out here in So. Cal., mine won't go above 250 either...I never gave it a thought as I would not consider smoking above that temp anyway....

Is this a problem?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Probably not, but I'm very new to smoking so I wasn't sure. So far everything I've tried in the Bradley has turned out wonderfully, so I probably shouldn't be complaining.  [^]

Curtis Jackson
[email protected]

Fuzzybear

Me too...I've got absolutely no complaints about this smoker!

Well, maybe one - can't smoke enough - but that's not the Bradley's fault!!![:D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

trout

Curtis, don't worry about your outlet being under powered.  The current capability of your outlet is controlled by the breaker it is wired to and the gauge of wire.  Even undersized romex will supply far more current than the breaker that electrical codes will allow you to wire it to.  What you plug into the outlet will draw the amount of current it requires to maintain the setting you use.  If the circuit cannot supply the current your smoker is drawing, it will not fail to come to max temp, it will trip your circuit breaker.  As others have stated, I have never seen a smoke cooking recipe that recommends heating at over 250F, so it is not really a problem.  But one other question is are you shutting off the smoke generator?  If you leave the generator on even after running out of smoke biscuits, the temp will maintain higher than with just the heat element of the cabinet.  Also if biscuits are burning in the smoke generator, it will maintain a higher temp than it will when you run out.  Just a couple reasons possibly why some people are holding a higher temp than others.  Hope it helps[;)]

Curtis Jackson

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trout</i>
<br />Curtis, don't worry about your outlet being under powered. [Good info deleted]  But one other question is are you shutting off the smoke generator?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks very much, trout. And, no, I did not shut off the smoke generator, precisely because I wanted the extra heat from it.

Curtis Jackson
[email protected]

Chez Bubba

OK,

I'm not an EE guy, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.[:D] If you are somehow "underpowered":

It would seem to me that diverting part of the available electrical power to the smoke generator (the part that's NOT supposed to produce heat) away from the bulb (the part that IS supposed to produce heat) would result in an overall lower temperature in the smoker.[?]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

msiler

I have tested the overheat protection Thermal switch in mine by taking it out of the smoker and testing in my oven. It opened the circuit about 260-275... Not sure if that is what it is supposed to be but that is where mine operates.

When in doubt smoke it.

trout

Kirk,  by running the smoke generator you are diverting some of the electrical current. But any normal household circuit will supply much more current than is required to operate both heat elements at the same time.  If it can't, it will trip your circuit breaker (or burn the insulation off of the wiring if you have a 100year old house and put a penny in place of the fuse) LOL[:D]  The only way the smoke generator could have a large affect on the heat bulb is if it was wired in series(if the electricity passed through the heat element circuit and on the out end passed to the bulb).  I am pretty sure the wiring is setup to power the smoke generator and then has a bypass cable that goes directly to the outlet for the cabinet heat.  I think a test is in order.  I will check it out after I make my batch of mettwurst tomorrow.[;)]

Fuzzybear

Hey!  I thought Olds was going to start digging around in his smoker without regard for his warranty to show us a diagram.............???[?][?][?][?]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

<br />The only way the smoke generator could have a large affect on the heat bulb is if it was wired in series(if the electricity passed through the heat element circuit and on the out end passed to the bulb).  I am pretty sure the wiring is setup to power the smoke generator and then has a bypass cable that goes directly to the outlet for the cabinet heat.  I think a test is in order.  I will check it out after I make my batch of mettwurst tomorrow.[;)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I believe that it is wired in series, but would yield to anyone "in the know".
Let us know how your test turns out.

[Homer Simpson on]Mettwurst....yummmmm![:p][:p][Homer Simpson off]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

msiler

It is wired in paralell. IE two seperatwe circuits. I do have a diagram for it around somewhere, I took my cover off in order to make my controller in such a way as would not damage it. If I can find it again I will try to draw it on the computer and post it.

When in doubt smoke it.