Deep Fried Smoked Turkey

Started by Rainmaker, October 13, 2010, 08:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

My son and I did a deep fried smoked turkey for Thanksgiving.  I started out binning the turkey for 12 hours using Smokehouse Rob's Apple Juice Turkey Brine.  Then it was into the fridge for another 24 hours.  I had moved the OBS over to my son's place and preheated it to 250#.  Turkey went in at noon.  Outside temp was about 55#F.  I gave it 4 hours of apple smoke.  At about 6:30 IT was 115# and cabinet temp was 185 (never did reach the 250# I had the Auber set at).  We took it out of the OBS and dropped it in the hot oil.  We thought it would take a while to reach IT of about 165, but decided to check it after 10 minutes.  Good thing as it was already there!  I checked several more spots using an instant read thermometer and confirmed that it was ready.  My son proceeded to carve and we served.  All the guests, but particularly the men, loved it.  My son said it was the best turkey he has ever had.  I found it moist with a real good smoke flavour.  Some of the surprises I encountered were the deep color the skin turned after frying and the short time it took to reach the final IT.  In hindsight I would liked to have checked the IT on taking it out of the OBS in several spots to confirm it really was only 115#.
I notice that the Bradley recipe call for cold smoking the bird then deep frying it.  I was a bit nervous about keeping a turkey at room temp for 4 hours so decided to cook while smoking.

Had the last leftovers tonight.  It was even better the next day.

Here are some pictures I took during the process.

Turkey ready to come out of the OBS

Ready to go in the deep fryer

In the fryer

Bubble bubble

Ready for carving

The money shots

DTAggie

classicrockgriller

Habanero Smoker

Your turkey turned out nice.

The Bradley recipe method calls for adding one of their cures, so their method is safe. Since you didn't add a cure, cold smoking for four hours would not have been safe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

FLBentRider

That bird looks great.

Good job!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TestRocket

"My son and I did a deep fried smoked turkey for Thanksgiving." /quote

Don't tell me I missed Thanksgiving  ???  ;D

Good looking bird!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: TestRocket on October 14, 2010, 05:42:04 AM
"My son and I did a deep fried smoked turkey for Thanksgiving." /quote

Don't tell me I missed Thanksgiving  ???  ;D

Good looking bird!
Morgan The Canadian Thanksgiving was on the 11th of Oct.

Great looking Sleepy Bird Rainmaker!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

Oh! What can I say I'm in Alabama and all!

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all north of the border!

I kind of like the idea of next year celebrating theirs and ours! Good eats in Oct and Nov.