First time smoking chicken

Started by jasoni5, October 15, 2010, 07:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasoni5

Hey guys,

I'm needing some help coming up with how to smoke my first chicken. I am pretty much clueless on what to do. I haven't bought the chicken so I'm up for all suggestions.. From what I've read it looks like i need to go and buy a meat thermometer.. Other than that I have no clue what im doing..

ArnieM

A meat thermometer is a good start.  How many people are eating?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jasoni5

KyNola

Let's keep this first one simple.  Rinse and pat dry your bird.  Apply a thin coat of oil to the bird and then sprinkle on the rub of your choice or simply leave it bare.  Preheat your smoker to around 275.  Put the bird in your smoker, being as quick as you can to get the door open and closed because your heat is going to drop like a rock.  Leave the temp setting at 275 until the temp in the tower gets back up to around 250.  You can then adjust your temp setting to maintain the 250 tower temp.  During that time apply about 2 hours of your favorite smoke.  If this is your first time, I would probably suggest apple.  Continue cooking until the internal temp of the bird hits around 165 in the breast and you're good to go.  One very important thing...make sure the vent is 100% wide open as poultry holds a lot of moisture and you want that moisture to escape as quickly as you can.

That should work for your first try.

jasoni5

That sounds easy enough.... Should I leave the bird whole, or split it?? or Pull the skin? and whats the approximate time so I can backplan a start time.

and THANKS ALOT!

ArnieM

I'd have to go with two broiler-fryers.  There's always a fight for wings and/or drums around here.  3-4 pounds each would be good.

As Ky said, a light oil rub.  Then either your favorite rub or just salt and pepper with a pinch of garlic powder.

My OBS has never seen 275 degrees.  The point is to get the cabinet as hot as possible or the skin will come out rubbery.  An alternative is to cook until almost done and then transfer to a hot oven or a grill to finish it and crisp up the skin.

Get a meat thermometer with a wired probe and stick it into the thickest part of the thigh.  The probe wire can run either through the vent or out the door.  That way you don't have to keep opening the door to check it with an instant read thermometer.

I always cut out the backbone and breast bone to get two halves when smoking.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SouthernSmoked

Hey Jason,

Sounds like KyNola has this one covered for you with some great advice.

Here's a few that I did this summer.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17856.0

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17179.0

Please there are some great recipes here:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?35-Chicken

Remember to set back and let the smoke roll as you enjoy!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little