You say sausage, I say YAH kobasa

Started by Northern_Smoke, October 14, 2010, 04:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Well i have been playing around trying to get this kobasa just right. There was a friend of the family who was a butcher and he made the best sausage out there. He has passed away and the family has moved on and away with none of them carrying on with the butcher and sausage business. So it has been many small batches trying to get it right and i think this last 5 pound batch is very close...so close that with a little tweak i will call it good to go and just start making it :)

Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Bet you are a happy camper being able to recreate a love from the past.

Congrats.

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 14, 2010, 07:14:19 PM
Bet you are a happy camper being able to recreate a love from the past.

Congrats.

I will say it makes me quite happy. All i had though was synthetic casings. Kind of was a spur of the moment thing haha. I do know what i will do different for next time though. Either way, it was good enough to eat one of the links....after i already had supper haha.

Tenpoint5

That's all that counts!! It doesn't matter what we all think from looking at a picture as long as your happy with the results and its good eats to you then you done good Northern
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

huckaberry3

Looks great and don't worry about the casings.  I actually prefer the callogen,  less tuff, very uniform and easier to stuff.

NePaSmoKer

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: huckaberry3 on October 15, 2010, 12:06:22 PM
Looks great and don't worry about the casings.  I actually prefer the callogen,  less tuff, very uniform and easier to stuff.
Thanks. You know its funny this time the casings were very tough. The sausage was delicious though. I have found that synthetic casings don't work well for me if I am making a fresh sausage and then cooking. They always seem to split unlike the naturals . I find they hold together really well though if you smkok them after they are stuffed. Maybe I am doing something wrong though. :)

avalanche99

The picture looks great as i'm wippin' my chin hehehe. I'm just in the middle of making garlic sausage from moose.One question what is the internal temp. when you pull the sausage out?

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: avalanche99 on October 22, 2010, 02:08:59 PM
The picture looks great as i'm wippin' my chin hehehe. I'm just in the middle of making garlic sausage from moose.One question what is the internal temp. when you pull the sausage out?

I started it at about 130 for an hour with no smoke. Then i ramped the temp up to 185ish and applied 3 hours of smoke. I took it to an internal temp of 152 so it is fully edible any time you want a snack. Just doing that 5 pounds i found it took almost 8-10 hours to hit that temp.

I actually have 10 pounds in right now doing it the same way and its been in since 7 am and right now its 3:30....seems to have stalled out at 138*