Bacon Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, October 15, 2010, 05:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

After conferring with my wingman who is far south of the border, I elected to indeed go with a 4:1 ratio of Head Country:Soileau's on 7 racks of these for a total of 6 pounds. :) Some racks are better coated than this one.  Was running out of the mix and wasn't going to mix more.  My apologies in advance for the pic quality.  Cell phone at 10PM while staying hydrated. :P

pensrock

Your not retired YET, what you doing making jerky?  ;D ;D ;D
Looks great.  :)

KyNola

Practice practice practice. :D

10 hours in and it is has a bit further to go.  My Excalibur won't get down to a temp of 70 so it's running at around 95.  Bacon seems to be doing fine.  No "fat out".

Will have pics of finished results before going into paper bag.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on October 15, 2010, 08:29:32 PM
After conferring with my wingman who is far south of the border, I elected to indeed go with a 4:1 ratio of Head Country:Soileau's on 7 racks of these for a total of 6 pounds. :) Some racks are better coated than this one.  Was running out of the mix and wasn't going to mix more.  My apologies in advance for the pic quality.  Cell phone at 10PM while staying hydrated. :P

Looks good Larry

Now sit and drink n eat for the long haul bacon jerky.

Mine still is not done.

KyNola

My dehydrator is set at 95.  Checked mine about 10 and a half hours in and mine too still needs to go longer.

Will let it ride.  I have nothing better to do.  Hey! Did that sound like someone retiring?  :D

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: KyNola on October 16, 2010, 07:53:30 AM
My dehydrator is set at 95.  Checked mine about 10 and a half hours in and mine too still needs to go longer.

Will let it ride.  I have nothing better to do.  Hey! Did that sound like someone retiring?  :D

Hmmmm!!

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Slamdunk

Nepas, I'm wondering why there wouldn't be a problem bacteria wise with the bacon smoking at that temp for so long. Could you explain this a bit please. Thanks.

NePaSmoKer

I think the bacon jerky is as done as its going to get. If i am doing the math right its been in for 29 hours give or take a few mins.

hal4uk

Wow...  I thought it might come out darker (?) 
Sure looks tasty though.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Mine is still hanging out in the dehydrator and I think it is darker than Rick's.  Not for sure though.  I will say one thing....the garage smells like BACON!!

Slamdunk, it's not smoking.  It's drying.  The bacon is already cured.  Only reason I know is because I called NePas and asked him the same thing. :D  I did keep in mind that back in the day when the cowboys made jerky, they threw beef on a hot rock in hot sun and let it dry naturally.  Pretty sure they didn't know what Cure#1 was.

Fun thing to experiment with.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on October 16, 2010, 01:24:08 PM
Mine is still hanging out in the dehydrator and I think it is darker than Rick's.  Not for sure though.  I will say one thing....the garage smells like BACON!!

Slamdunk, it's not smoking.  It's drying.  The bacon is already cured.  Only reason I know is because I called NePas and asked him the same thing. :D  I did keep in mind that back in the day when the cowboys made jerky, they threw beef on a hot rock in hot sun and let it dry naturally.  Pretty sure they didn't know what Cure#1 was.

Fun thing to experiment with.

Isn't that like the Indians rubbing some berries on the meat and hanging it off a pole until it dried?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Up In Smoke

I have a pound of bacon that was made at a local farm, in north Ga, i read the ingredients on the package and i have all of them in my cabinet. cure and all.  is it safe for me to assume i can do bacon jerky with it?
also what texture am i looking for, i know with beef you give it the bend test.
is there an easy way for us rookies to know when it is done?

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KyNola

Jerry, if that bacon is cured you should be good to go.  Still going with the bend test myself.  2 things to remember.  Dehydrate it at low temp or you will "fat out" the bacon and bacon is mostly fat so it will take a long time to dry the fat to jerky consistence.  NePaS's went 29 hours.  Mine is at 19 hours as I type but mine started at 95 degrees where Rick's went in at 70.

I called Rick this morning to make sure I wasn't going to poison my family and friends and he assured me I was good to go.  If Rick tells me anything when it comes to sausage or jerky, I'm going with it! 8)

Up In Smoke

Thanks Larry,
Don't know that i will be able to do it this weekend but next weekend is a go so far.
I am with you also on the sausage and jerky making in regards to Rick, although i lost his phone number >:(
i have been painting and moved a bunch of stuff out.....me thinks me might have burned a stack of papers
me needed.....think the IRS will mind? :D
i will send him a pm and see if i can get it again.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KyNola

Was able to find a piece of bacon jerky that was sufficiently dried.  Had to sample it.  OMG!  This is some incredible stuff.  Don't know who's eyes rolled in the back of their head first, Jan or me.  Jan's reaction..."isn't there another slice out there that's done?".  Thanks to STC for the rub combo suggestion of 4 parts Head Country to 1 part Soileau's.  That is an absolute KILLER flavor combo laying on some bacon.

20 hours of drying at 95 as I type.