Bacon Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, October 15, 2010, 05:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

It's Bacon !

Great looking stuff -- just don't confuse it with the dog's Beggin Strips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CErapf79rqM

Now I think I will be in the market for a dehydrator.  Those look so good!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Up In Smoke

Quote from: KyNola on October 16, 2010, 06:21:20 PM
Was able to find a piece of bacon jerky that was sufficiently dried.  Had to sample it.  OMG!  This is some incredible stuff.  Don't know who's eyes rolled in the back of their head first, Jan or me.  Jan's reaction..."isn't there another slice out there that's done?".  Thanks to STC for the rub combo suggestion of 4 parts Head Country to 1 part Soileau's.  That is an absolute KILLER flavor combo laying on some bacon.

20 hours of drying at 95 as I type.   
You are drying this in the dehydrator?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KyNola

BLSH, funny you should say that about Beggin' Strips because that exactly what I told Jan we were making.  I'm telling you after one bite of this you WILL be beggin' for more.

UIS, yes, mine is store bought bacon dusted with the rub combo I mentioned earlier in a dehydrator at 95 degrees.  NePas warned me this would be a long process because it takes a lot longer to get the fat part of the bacon dried when compared to the meat part but after that one bite it's worth it.

Up In Smoke

I am looking forward to giving this a shot.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tenpoint5

I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator!I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! Dang I need a dehydrator
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 17, 2010, 06:49:34 AM
I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator!I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! I don't need a dehydrator! Dang I need a dehydrator

Rick has one for sale.  In a box.   :D

I need to try this in my little cheapo dehydrator...   It doesn't have a temperature control, though.  Kinda goes off of ambient temps.

KyNola

Mine came out of the dehydrator this morning around 2:30.  That's 28 and 1/2 hours.  It's currently in a brown paper bag so the bag can absorb any surface grease.  Will take it out soon and blot any remaining grease and shoot a pic of the finished results.  This stuff is good.

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: KyNola on October 17, 2010, 07:40:43 AM
Mine came out of the dehydrator this morning around 2:30.  That's 28 and 1/2 hours.  It's currently in a brown paper bag so the bag can absorb any surface grease.  Will take it out soon and blot any remaining grease and shoot a pic of the finished results.  This stuff is good.

What do you think??

Any pictures or did you eat it all....
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

Finished product.  6 pounds of bacon makes a lot of Bacon Jerky.

The Head Country/Soileau's Rub gave it a nice finished color.  Almost the color of fried but not quite as dark.  The parts that still look white just don't have enough rub on them to color them.

I'm pretty sure this stuff can't be good for you.  Think I heard one of my arteries slam shut. :D

NePaSmoKer

Looks great Larry

I think my arteries are still trying to recoop  :D

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: KyNola on October 17, 2010, 08:50:38 AM

I'm pretty sure this stuff can't be good for you.  Think I heard one of my arteries slam shut. :D

Just needs to be accompanied with a sufficient quantity of good solvent to keep things flowing.      :D   ;D

Tenpoint5

I couldn't take it anymore. So for our anniversary brunch here at the house. Momma and the kids enjoyed 3lbs of Papa's Maple bacon, 2 lbs of sausage links and a whole loaf of french toast (18 eggs) There is only 4 slices of toast and 5 slices of bacon left!! My bacon fix has been fixed. You can continue posting about bacon jerky now.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 17, 2010, 09:31:41 AM
I couldn't take it anymore. So for our anniversary brunch here at the house. Momma and the kids enjoyed 3lbs of Papa's Maple bacon, 2 lbs of sausage links and a whole loaf of french toast (18 eggs) There is only 4 slices of toast and 5 slices of bacon left!! My bacon fix has been fixed. You can continue posting about bacon jerky now.

:D  :D

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs 10.5

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 17, 2010, 09:35:44 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 17, 2010, 09:31:41 AM

:D  :D

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs 10.5

Momma been putting up with me for 12 years now. She has never once mentioned putting me in an asylum either!! My ex did when I was caught feeding potato chips to a skunk in front of the guard shack on post

BuyLowSellHigh

Happy Anniversary, Mr. & Mrs. 10.5 !

That was some brunch ... about 1/2 lb of bacon alone per ?