Bacon Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, October 15, 2010, 05:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Been awhile since i made bacon jerky.

2 pounds of homemade hickory smoked bacon seasoned with your choice.

Being i made the bacon awhile back i went this route with it for the jerky. 12 hours at 70*

KyNola

Gonna be watching this with great interest.  Would love to make some of it.  Rick, just curious.  Why 12 hours at 70 degrees?  Obviously you have no concerns about the bacon being at that temp for that many hours.

This sounds just too good.  I'm going to have to make some of this I can already tell.

Tenpoint5

He's at it again!! I can feel my cholesterol rising already. Next thing you know he will be dipping the Bacon Jerky in Chocolate!! Hint
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

WOW, bacon jerky..    Wait 'til I mention this to the guys at work.   They'll soil themselves.

What happens to the fat?

KyNola

Rick does this to us all the time.  Posts something on here that gets us all atwitter and then freakin' disappears!  Dang it Rick, get back on here and answer our questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 15, 2010, 06:55:23 AM
He's at it again!! I can feel my cholesterol rising already. Next thing you know he will be dipping the Bacon Jerky in Chocolate!! Hint

MMMMMM that does sound good.

Quote from: KyNola on October 15, 2010, 07:27:23 AM
Rick does this to us all the time.  Posts something on here that gets us all atwitter and then freakin' disappears!  Dang it Rick, get back on here and answer our questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Ya'll are brutal  :D  :D

Quote from: KyNola on October 15, 2010, 06:27:11 AM
Gonna be watching this with great interest.  Would love to make some of it.  Rick, just curious.  Why 12 hours at 70 degrees?  Obviously you have no concerns about the bacon being at that temp for that many hours.

This sounds just too good.  I'm going to have to make some of this I can already tell.

Low slow temp cuz i want to dry the bacon. If you go high your going to fat it out.

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 15, 2010, 07:19:26 AM

WOW, bacon jerky..    Wait 'til I mention this to the guys at work.   They'll soil themselves.

What happens to the fat?

And Pat's going to have to hand his friends moist toweletts   :D  :D

5 hours into the dehydrator. Bacon will be going all night.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 15, 2010, 10:51:04 AM

I got a Barley Pop that says he's gonna try it!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah, bacon jerky...
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 15, 2010, 11:27:43 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 15, 2010, 10:51:04 AM
I got a Barley Pop that says he's gonna try it!!!
I ain't taking that bet because it sounds pretty good to me too!  I am SO gonna make some bacon jerky this weekend, I can just feel it.

KyNola

I was right!  Just got clearance from sous chef Jan that bacon jerky is definitely on the agenda for this weekend.  Time to fire up the Excalibur again.

SWEET! 8)

BuyLowSellHigh

Chocolate?  Hmm .....

Try it with peanut butter (gasp) .. yep, PB.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

NePaSmoKer

PB  :P

I hate PB

Anyways

Half way done.

KyNola

6 pounds of bacon in my frig.  I'm thinking bacon jerky dusted with Head Country rub.  Anyone got an opinion on that flavor combination?

This will get interesting I'm sure.

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on October 15, 2010, 06:30:34 PM
6 pounds of bacon in my frig.  I'm thinking bacon jerky dusted with Head Country rub.  Anyone got an opinion on that flavor combination?

This will get interesting I'm sure.

Head Country and Soileau's!   

KyNola