Growler and Turkey Breast

Started by smoker pete, October 15, 2010, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Picked up a growler of Amber yesterday from my local brewery (man does not live by Jim Beam alone) and needed something to smoke with it.  Decided  on a turkey breast since that would take longer and give me ample time to put a dent in the growler  ;D

What the hell is a growler? We're not talking about the USS Growler, a small iceberg, a four-wheeled hansom cab from England, a sexual offender or any of the other slang phrases associated with the word – there are many. We're talking about that which carries fresh beer from a brewery to your house.  Growlers are filled straight from the tap, sealed with a twist-cap.  Almost all brewpubs sell growlers these days, as do many breweries. And regardless of its true origin the growler is a great way to take home some fresh brew from a local brewery or brewpub.

Here's the growler and the breast rubbed with a little EVOO and some spice

PID set to 250º, vent wide open, 3 hours of smoke (1 to 1 pecan/apple)
Turkey breast was only 6.4 lbs and took 3 hours to reach IT of 162º

Since it only took 3 hours, my bad, wound up with a 3 hour FTC instead of my preferred 1.5 to 2 hours.
Here's the growler minus a couple of pints and the breast after FTC.

The $$$$ shot ... plated with some steamed tatters, green beans, gravy and washed down with a pint of Amber

This is fun!!!  I should pick up another growler  ;D ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

hal4uk

Looks quite tasty!

And thanks for the Growler explanation...
I'm not even gonna say what I... Uhhh...  Noooooo... 
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ka Honu

Quote from: smoker pete on October 15, 2010, 06:43:46 PM... sealed with a twist-cap. 

Our best local brewery (Sam Choy's Aloha Brewery) uses ceramic tops like Grolsch.  Luckily, I know how to operate one.  Even better, one of my best friends is an assistant brewmaster there and always brings home samples.

SouthernSmoked

Great job smoker pete...

Awesome presentation!!

Now let's eat!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Quote from: hal4uk on October 15, 2010, 07:50:34 PM
Looks quite tasty!

And thanks for the Growler explanation...
I'm not even gonna say what I... Uhhh...  Noooooo... 
I was thinking along the same lines Hal!! OMG I actually understand Hal!! This is NOT GOOD, I tell ya NOT GOOD AT ALL
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smoker pete

Here's a shot of the growlers I collected this summer while visiting British Columbia, Yukon Territory, and Alaska.

Best part is all that great beer I got to taste before getting one filled and then drinking the one I chose ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

classicrockgriller

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on October 15, 2010, 10:38:30 PM
Great job smoker pete...

Awesome presentation!!

Now let's eat!!!

Ditto!

Very Nice!

Up In Smoke

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 15, 2010, 08:11:59 PM
Quote from: smoker pete on October 15, 2010, 06:43:46 PM... sealed with a twist-cap. 

Our best local brewery (Sam Choy's Aloha Brewery) uses ceramic tops like Grolsch.  Luckily, I know how to operate one.  Even better, one of my best friends is an assistant brewmaster there and always brings home samples.
Do i detect a little Ka Honu Pas action here?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Ka Honu

Quote from: Up In Smoke on October 16, 2010, 05:26:02 PMDo i detect a little Ka Honu Pas action here?

I am but a small grasshopper gazing upon the magnificent tiger.

iceman

Growler or no growler, that plate of vittles is awsome looking. Glad you cleared the growler thing up with everyone. I'm not even going to mention what they call a growler up here.  :o  :D