Turkey

Started by kmax, October 10, 2010, 10:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmax

Anyone have any opinions on what type of wood to smoke a turkey with?

FLBentRider

I've used Hickory, cherry, apple and maple
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Pecan is good, too!

I've done an Apple/Pecan mix before..

kmax

how did you like the cherry?

smoker pete

Pecan and/or mix of Pecan/Apple has worked good for my taste (3 hours of smoke on a turkey breast).  Did 2 hours Cherry on some Cornish Hens and found it to be too mild for my taste.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Habanero Smoker

For poultry I use pecan, maple or apple. Hickory tends to be a little strong for me on poultry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Thunder Fish

Just did one with Apple,Maple & Alder.........really tasty,also it was a small one,I did the maple brine From the Susan Minor forum placing bacon on top and cut apple inside

ninerguy

Did 10 1/2 lb turkey on sat. with 4 hrs of alder & maple also brined 14 hrs.  Did not eat until yesterday, was very moist & flavourful.  First turkey I have tried in the OBS.  Cooked it whole but next time will spatchcock.  Have done several small chickens all spatchcocked, but wanted to try a whole turkey.  I just think you get a more evenly smoke, just my opinion.

Niner
When my feet hit the floor in the morning I know it's a good day

camoghost

I like a mix of apple and hickory I run it every other apple hickory apple hickory and so on.

Holtnotes

Sorry to bother you with my question, but am going to try and cook a turkey tomorrow.  I have gone through the boards and it seems like my question remains unanswered.    My turkey is large 18 1/2 lbs- not sure yet how I am going to fit it on the rack - Have you ever cooked one standing up kind of like a beer can chicken?  Should I take off the legs etc and put them on another rack?   Also - is there a rule of thumb cooking one - do you brine - rub etc?  Guess I am really asking  how do I do this?  I brined a turkey once and it was very salty - now I read that you should not brine turkeys that have been injected with a saline solution like you get at the grocer.  Has anyone injected their bird?  I am thinking that would be faster and I could more easily control the salt content.  Wonder what I would inject with. Has anyone spatchcocked a turkey and smoked it? Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Got this smoker for my hubby last Christmas and it has only been used three times.   Once was yesterday to do Ribs and a pork butt and today I am doing a brisket.  The ribs and pork butt came out great -  have way too much meat in the freezer that is BIG meat - need to cook it and package smaller. 

Thanks in advance for the help

Susan

FLBentRider

How long did you brine the turkey that was too salty?

Ann 18lb bird will probably have to be stood up to fit. In addition, with a bird that big I would probably apply the smoke you want (2-3 hours) and then transfer to your oven if you can, that is a lot of mass and will take a while.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rainmaker

I might be too late in responding to your question but here is a link to the 14 lb turkey I did.  I put it on a beer can holder and stood it up.  Had lots of room in the OBS

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18424.0