NEW GUY!

Started by jasoni5, October 15, 2010, 07:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasoni5

I just purchased a OBS last week, and I would have to say I'm pretty proud of the first round of ribs that I made. I just have a few questions after searching around the forum for a bit. What is a PID and what is this CT marinade everyone is talking about??

Also I'm trying to smoke some chicken this weekend, and I am taking all suggestions on what to do. If i should do a whole chicken, the beer butt technique, legs... ect.

Thanks Alot!

PS.. GO HUSKERS!

ArnieM

Hi jasoni5 and welcome to the forum.

A PID is a temperature controller.  See www.auberins.com for the smoker controllers.

CT is Carolina Treet, a cooking sauce native to the Carolinas.  It can be used as a marinade.  It is not intended to be added at the end as a BBQ sauce might be.  www.carolinatreet.com.

I cut the chicken in half for the smoker.  Cooks quicker and more surface area for smoke.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

smoker pete

Welcome to the Forum jasoni5.

OBS temp @ 250ºF and vent wide open.  I like to apply 2 hours of smoke.  I like pecan, apple.  Others will use hickory.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

beefmann

KevinG

Welcome to the forum jasoni5!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

VI_Smoker

Welcome to the forum Jasoni5. 
As mentioned a PID is for controlling the temperature of the smoker.  I have a dual probe PID (one for the cabinet temp and one for the internal meat temp).  The things I like most about the PID is 1) taking the guess work out of getting the slider in the correct position for say a 225 smoke, just set the PID and walk away.  2) You can set the end internal temp of your meat i.e. turn the cabinet temp from 225 to 150 when you pork butt gets to 190, this means you don't have to be hanging over the smoker as the internal meat temp gets close.

Having said that I have done several great smokes without the PID and a lot of folk don't use one and from the pics they post they get fantastic results   :)

SoCalBuilder

Jasoni5 - Welcome from another newby. My first smoke was chicken and there is nothing better. Even the leftovers :) :) The smoky smell when you open that ziplock can't be beat. My shot at ribs this weekend. Enjoy and take advantage of this forum... these guys are the best!

Habanero Smoker

Hi jasoni5,

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the most common acronyms that are used on this board:
Acronyms

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RossP

Welcome, it seems as if the guys got you covered.
Have fun with your Bradley.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

jasoni5

Thanks alot guys... The batch of chicken i made turned out great! Tonight its onto the ribs!

ArnieM

It's an addiction.  Once you start you can't stop.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.