Smoking Turkey

Started by wildcatt, July 04, 2005, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcatt

I have done a few turkeys and they have been good,  but not great  wonderful and heartstoping. I have not been soaking the turkey first is this the reason why and could someone give me there version of a brine

Thanks in advance [:)]

Thats Wildcatt with 2T's the orgional

Habanero Smoker

It could be more than one reason. Was the problem with dryness, rubbery skin or some other reason(s)?

You can do a search on this forum or go to this site http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13 , to find brine recipes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JVR

Grillin and Chillin

I used the following brine and rub from Bassman, for the 4th of July on two wild turkey breast. Took it to my wife's family cook out. Drew wonderful raves. I really liked the taste and will use it again.
I used only hickory pucks for 3 hours.

SMOKED TURKEY BREAST

Brine: Per 1 gallon,
1 gallon of water (use as many as it takes to completely cover bird, deep plastic bucket works best)
1 Tlb Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Old Bay
1 Sprig of fresh rosemary (or 1 tlbs of powdered)
1 Bay leaf
1 cup of salt
Used 2 fresh turkey breasts, no wings,4lb & 5lb
Soak over night, rinse well and pat dry. Apply olive oil & favorite rub, on and under skin but leave skin on. I used this:
1Tbl Pepper, Onion powder, Salt, Oregano, Emerils Essence. Let sit for 30-45 minutes at room temperature. Pre-heat smoker to 200-220F. Smoke until internal temp is 175F. Approx. 4-5 hrs. Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove breast from bone,slice against the grain.

I alternated bisquetts, between cherry & hickory, every other one.Even my wife noticed how subtle & smooth the smoke flavor was.took 5 hrs to complete because I kept the temp low at first and let it smoke.The meat is moist, tender & suculant!The best batch EVER!!  

My compliments to Bassman

wildcatt

Oh I love the rubbery skin :) but ya the breast was a little dry  I used Mesquite to do as its my girl friends favorit but want to try some different   The dark meat was juice and tender I am still new to smoking  I did some ribs a while ago   what kind of wood do you all like for pork ?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />It could be more than one reason. Was the problem with dryness, rubbery skin or some other reason(s)?

You can do a search on this forum or go to this site http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13 , to find brine recipes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Grillin and Chillin

I pretty much use hickory for pork, but it's my favorite. I've heard alot of folks like pecan. I don't have any but would like to try it.

Fur & Feather Outfitters
Archery Assault Team

BIG T

WILD"CAT"

I have done several batches of ribs the last being for the 4th. Hickory on on batch & the other w/ pecan. The hickory being of classic BBQ taste the pecan on the other hand is more subtle but tasty. Of course hickory is a more bold smoke. I use pecan pellets on my gas grill when doing steaks & burgers...da ticket!I conclusion you must try it for yourself & determine which is the best for your tastebuds. Myself, I will eat either both is awesome!

"SMOKEM" The Bradley way is the way...simple, & easy!!!

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Paul!

there are lots of ideas on the Forum about making crispier skin, but the best way is probably to smoke the bird as long as you can in the BS and then finish it off for the last 20-30 min in a 350F oven.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wildcatt</i>
<br />
Oh I love the rubbery skin :) but ya the breast was a little dry  I used Mesquite to do as its my girl friends favorit but want to try some different   The dark meat was juice and tender I am still new to smoking  I did some ribs a while ago   what kind of wood do you all like for pork ?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I missed you post. Brining will help keep the breast moist. What internal temperature did you cook to. Today's recommended temperature for whole poultry is 165 F; measured at the deepest part of the thigh.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)