Help with OBS not heating correctly

Started by Rudyfo, October 16, 2010, 08:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudyfo

I've had my OBS for a year and a half now. It will not heat past 160 degrees. Has anyone else experienced this problem...Does anyone have any suggestions for me. Thanks!

ArnieM

Check the main heating element - make sure it glows.  Or hit it with a remote IR thermometer.

An alternative is to turn off the SG and plug the cabinet heater directly into the wall to see if you get any heat.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

With temperatures of only 160°F, you are not getting any heat from the element. First I would do what Arnie suggested, unplug the cabinet from the generator, make sure the temperature adjuster is all the way to the right, and plug the cabinet directly into an outlet. Check the pilot light, it should be on. If the element starts getting hot, and begin to glow, then the problem may be a loose wire in the generator.

If the element does not get hot, and there is no pilot light, then the problem may be located within the cabinet. If you have a cracked faceplate the circuit board may be fried. Or your in-line fuse may have blown, or you high temperature switch my have triped and not reset. The replacement parts for any of these fixes is fairly small.

Here are some tips you can try before you call Bradley:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

one other note, be sure all connections are securely made,  it might be possible that your 160 temp was only from the  smoking element and not  from the  mail unit, and as others  noted move the slider to the  right  and  see if it glows. Also there  has been notes that there is a dead  spot all the way to the  right .. might  consider an inch  from the far  right just as a precaution

Habanero Smoker

He has a fairly new smoker, so he shouldn't have to worry about a dead spot. Brian posted some time back that it may have been a problem with the earlier smokers, but the dead spot is no longer a problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)