First Smoke...

Started by CoryNH, October 18, 2010, 04:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoryNH

Gave the OBS its inaugural run yesterday.  Figured I would start simple and smoke a whole chicken (about 6lb). Brined it for 5 hours in a homemade brew of equal parts water & apple cider, brown sugar, salt, peppercorns, fresh sage leaves, a cut up onion, a cut up carrot, and a garlic clove.  After its bird bath I injected it with butter that contained chopped sage, thyme and rosemary.  Coated the outside with S & P.  Smoked for 2.5 hours with equal parts pecan & apple @ 250* & finished cooking to IT of 165* (took about 6 hours).  It was a windy cool fall day yesterday up here in New Hampshire;  the OBS had a hard time recovering after I put the chicken in.  Then it started to sprinkle so I moved everything to my garage.  I need to build a OBS Condo so I don't have to worry about the wind or weather.  The chicken came out really good, really juicy.  I do wish the skin was a little crispier, I think next time I will finish the last 30 min of cooking in my oven.  The smoke flavor was really mild, but tasted really good.  My kid had the camera so I wasn't able to get any pictures... next weekend.

KyNola

Congrats!  Sounds like your inaugural run went well.

Tenpoint5

Nice start Cory. remember with poultry to keep the vent wide open they contain a lot of moisture which will affect heat. So give it lots of room to get out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Hi Cory and welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you did a bang up job on the chicken.  I agree with finishing in the oven or on the grill to crisp up the skin.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.