Problem w/ Smoke Generator

Started by Paisan1922, July 05, 2005, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paisan1922

I have had my Bradley for a little over a year.  I am having problems w/ my generator not automatically advancing....I called bradley and they said my warranty is up.  I really like my smoker but if the generators only last a year...I don't want to spend money on a new generator.  Is this an easy problem to fix? or do i have to buy a new one. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Rob

Habanero Smoker

There could be more then one reason that the pucks are not advancing. The most common problem is that the mechanism is gummed up. This is easy to fix, but if it's a gear or other mechanical problem, it's more difficult because of the lack of available parts. Others will help you with that.

To clean the generator: This should be done at least annually anyway. There are six or seven screws on the bottom of the generator. Make sure your generator is not plugged in, and remove the screws. Carefully lift the cover; there will be two wire connectors you will need to disconnect(the power switch and the advance button). After the wires are unplugged, this will allow you to remove the cover enough to check the advance mechanism. Next thoroughly clean the mechanism and other parts of the generator. I use denatured alcohol, and compressed air. Once it is clean and dry, <font color="green"><u>LIGHTLY</u></font id="green"> lube the gear and other moving parts; too much lubrication will act as a magnic and collect wood particles. A silicone based lube is best. Reassemble, and do not over tighten the screws; or they will strip the threads in the sheet metal.

Good Luck! Hopefully this will solve your problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

If the advance is shot then give manxman a yell. He lives on the other side of the pond but was able to find a replacement for his.  Perhaps he can point you into the correct direction here.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

Hi Paisan1922,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If the advance is shot then give manxman a yell. He lives on the other side of the pond but was able to find a replacement for his. Perhaps he can point you into the correct direction here.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I got an electrician friend of mine onto the case and he checked with a local electrical wholesaler who got the exact same puck advance motor to the same specification with no difficulty, I now have three spares purchased at a cost of around £8 ($14) each.

Check out the link below:

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1454&SearchTerms=microwave,motors

If they are available on this side of the pond I feel sure that following a similar path in the US will find the equivalent US spec. motor.The above link gives the US part number and specification as well as the UK one.

As a footnote my smoke generator is giving problems as of yesterday, the hot plate that burns the pucks seems to have packed up.[:(] Checked a few things out with no joy but fortunately it is still under warranty.

Manxman.
Manxman

Paisan1922

Thanks guys for all your input......It's weird sometimes it will advance...then I will check like an hour or two later and it seems like it didnt move at all.  I will try and clean it....If I have to replace the motor...How hard is it to replace?  what about the timer that lets it advance every 20 minutes?...is that part of the motor? Thanks again for all your help.

Rob

manxman

Changing the motor looks simple, gain access to the inside of the smoke generator as Habs describes above(I have done this, it is pretty straighforward) then it is a couple of screws and a couple of electrical connectors to disconnect and then re-connect to the new motor.

The motor itself will be labelled as per the link mentioned above, both 240V and 110V part numbers are given.

As far as I am aware the timer is separate to the motor.

If changing  the motor I would also follow Habs advice and clean the guts of the smoke generator thoroughly as well.

Let us know how you get on!

Manxman.
Manxman

Paisan1922

Thanks Manxman.......The pucks will advance when I push the button manually...do you think it could be a timer issue? Once again...thanks for your help.

Thunder Fish

I took a friends S/S generator apart and found the advance would work but not the 20 min cycle.A bit of patience and some observing I discovered that the advance cycle would run the motor Counter clockwise and the timed cycle would run the wrong way.The contacts were not closing properly in that direction.
 To correct the problem was to let it 1/2 cycle on the timer side pull the plug and plug it back in and the motor would change to the correct turn.
 He has reported that after 3 smokeings it is still operating fine,my payment was some Sockeye salmon, smoked of course.
 My thoughts is that there was a large drop in voltage at that outlet(Freezer,Furnace,A/C,etc)or it was unplugged in the middle of a puck cycle and just forgot which way to turn as the contacts were open at the time and most microwave motors do turn either way after each cooking (aka power up).
 Hope this will help and as always use caution when working with electricity !
 Terry

manxman

Hi Paisan1922,

Thunder Fish's advice looks like it may well be worth following up if the motor is still working when pushing the advance button. What he says certainly makes sense doesn't it.

I would check his information out, give the units a good clean as per Habs advice then change the motor if either of the first two don't work.

If the smoke generator still does'nt work after all that then it is back to the drawing board!!!

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

Dog gone Thunder Fish that is some impressive thinking on your part. I've got an unit in my garage that mis cycles (it was replaced under warranty) and I'm going to give that a shot!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Thunder Fish

Should we tell the folks at Bradley about this? ? ? ? ?  [;)]
Terry

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunder Fish</i>
<br />Should we tell the folks at Bradley about this? ? ? ? ?  [;)]
Terry
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think we should--they may be able to either include that fix in their manual, or figure out a way to "synchronize" the advance and the timer so it doesn't happen.  Either way, it's a win-win . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Paisan1922

Thunder...Thanks for the advise....since im new to the inner workings of the Bradley...Im a little intimidated by taking it apart....1/2 cycle?...contacts? kinda confusing to me....you think you could possibly dumb down those directions for me...LOL...I really appreciate all the input from everyone...this is a great forum.

psdubl07

My advancer is now not working properly either.  I'm trying to open the generator to clean it, and I can see what I need to do, but my question is: How in the hell did you get your hands in there Hab to disconnect the wires?

EDIT:  I was able to disconnect the power wires, although I did rip my hand up pretty good doing it.  But what about the wires on the advance button?  Do they pop right off like the power button wires?  They don't seem to, and I don't want to force them.