Rckcrwlr's Gouda???

Started by Rckcrwlr, October 18, 2010, 07:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

Well I picked up a block of Gouda from Costco yesterday and decided that while working I would throw it in for an hour.

This is my test sample...

2.5 lbs of Gouda

I cut it into three pieces.  One was half, the other I cut the half in half.  Want to see what the effects are with varying thicknesses.

Placed them on my new "Jerky Racks" so not to melt it through.

I will be smoking it for an hour with Apple Wood

Rckcrwlr

Wow...

I smoked it for 1 hour and then let it sit in there until the temp dropped.  Temp maxed out at 116 degrees.  Pulled the rack out and the Gouda was holding on tight. 

Chilled them a little and sealed them up for a 3 week nap to mesh and mellow the flavors...

KyNola

Order some Frogmats to fit your Bradley racks.  That will solve the sticking issue.  Brian at Yard and Pool can get them for you.  Well worth the investment in my opinion.  Everything I smoke is sitting on a Frogmat.  Can take temps up to 500 degrees.

Carter

Please keep us posted on how this works out.  I'm imagining it being amazing.

Ka Honu

I smoke Costco Gouda regularly - it always turns out excellent as will yours.  I usually cut into roughly 1/2-pound chunks based on the theory that smaller chunks have relatively more surface area for smoke adherence.

smoker pete

Smoked some Costco Gouda with Apple on Oct 9th as part of my first cheese smoke.  Waiting patiently for a few more weeks before I crack one open.  Hope it turns out half as good as everyone says it will be ... I hate waiting

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Ka Honu

That's the good thing about getting old - I put the cheese in the fridge to age and within a day or so, I forgot I ever made it.  A month or so later (when I finally remember), it's like opening a Christmas present.

BuyLowSellHigh

Well you started with the right stuff - -that's the real deal, from Holland.

I did my first cheese smoke about two weeks ago and I included a chunk of Gouda (wife's personal favorite since she is Dutch).  Am now patiently waiting as it "ages".  I am having a hard time restraining myself - we'll see if it makes it another two weeks.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SoCalBuilder

This looks like a future project. Is there anything wrong with just popping it in the freezer right away. I lose things in out freezer constantly, so that would solve the temptation issue  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on October 30, 2010, 06:53:10 AM
This looks like a future project. Is there anything wrong with just popping it in the freezer right away. I lose things in out freezer constantly, so that would solve the temptation issue  ;D
Freezing is not a good answer a lot of the harder cheeses get crumbly after they have been frozen and don't taste as well. Bootm drawer in the back is the best place to put it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

Usually you do not want to get the temp above 90. You might want to add ice cubes next time or make a cold smoke box out of cardboard. It works great

Rckcrwlr

Guys,
I am so sorry for not replying back on this.  I did not get any notices that there were posts.

To give you an update...spend the money on a good vacuum sealer.  That makes a world of difference.  No matter how tight you wrap it, you get leakage.  I cracked on open last weekend...OMG was it incredible.  It dries it out just a bit.  You don't have that fresh gouda "slim".

I have had it on a sandwich with my smoked turkey, grilled enough to just start melting...

bigcatdaddy

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 18, 2010, 12:03:56 PM
That's the good thing about getting old - I put the cheese in the fridge to age and within a day or so, I forgot I ever made it.  A month or so later (when I finally remember), it's like opening a Christmas present.

I'm the same way!!!!! ;D

Caneyscud

Quote from: bigcatdaddy on November 12, 2010, 07:51:23 AM
Quote from: Ka Honu on October 18, 2010, 12:03:56 PM

I'm the same way!!!!! ;D
Iff'n I didn't resemble that statement so much I'd be laughing harder than I am now! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Rckcrwlr

Here is the finished product.

Posted using Tapatalk Pro