Placement of smoker

Started by johnlmaddock3, October 18, 2010, 07:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlmaddock3

I am considering placing my smoker in my basement.  I live in Iowa and gets pretty cold in the winter time.  I just built a wooden shelf to mount my smoker on.  It turned out pretty nice (free 2 x 4's from my neighbor).  I have an exhaust fan and speed dial to be able to adjust fan speed.  The exhaust will be vented out my basement through a 4 inch metal dryer type exhaust vent.

The entire shelf is portable.  I can still remove the smoker and use it outside in nicer weather.  I ran this by a few of my friends and they said I shouldn't mount the smoker in basement.  I have seen other post(s) where people have exhausted their smokers outside (fire hazard).  I don't have room in garage and I want to be able to use the smoker year round.

I have not drilled the hole for the vent.  I would like some input before I drill.  Thanks.

GusRobin

I am shooting from the hip here, but I don't see any difference than if you put a wood stove (assuming proper ventilation, etc.) in your basement. The only concern would be if you ever had a grease fire. While very rare there are a small number of people that have stated that they had one.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

hal4uk

If it looks anything like my basement (unfinished part)...
I'm picturing a lot of WOOD overhead.  Especially considering Gus's note (potential grease fire), I would recommend some galvanized metal roofing sheets, cut and fitted to the ENTIRE area.  The stuff is cheap, and might prove to be life-savingly prudent.  Also, you should already have at least one FIRE EXTINGUISHER in your basement (I have two). 

That said...
Go for it!
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: hal4uk on October 18, 2010, 07:36:58 PM
If it looks anything like my basement (unfinished part)...
I'm picturing a lot of WOOD overhead.  Especially considering Gus's note (potential grease fire), I would recommend some galvanized metal roofing sheets, cut and fitted to the ENTIRE area.  The stuff is cheap, and might prove to be life-savingly prudent.  Also, you should already have at least one FIRE EXTINGUISHER in your basement (I have two). 

That said...
Go for it!
Awrighten.

Fire proof sheet rock 5/8" thick, the type they use around furnances is also something to think about.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

We had a good discussion about risk and risk management of using a Bradley smokert about 5 months ago.  I encourage you to read that entire thread here.  In that you will see divided opinions and thoughts on both the risk and how it can be reasonably managed.  That was for a detached garage.  An interior basement, in my opinion, increases the risk as your entire residential structure is at risk.

Within your basement probably adds another issue that most garages don't present, and that's odor.  In the houses with basements I've had the basement was included in the house HVAC volume.  That means any escaping odors and smoke will probably get mixed in with the house air.  Also, basements tend to be poorely ventilated, so I would expect that over time you will build up a lasting odor in your basement.

If it were me I wouldn't do it.  I'd build an enclosure as many of the folks here have done and keep it outside of my house.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Slamdunk

I agree with BLSH, too risky for my taste. And I doubt if you'll be able to vent 100% of the smoke leaving an odor in the basement....

I don't think a small water proof, wind resistant enclosure outside would be too expensive an alternative. I know I'd sleep better...

hal4uk

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on October 19, 2010, 02:47:04 AM
We had a good discussion about risk and risk management of using a Bradley smokert about 5 months ago.  I encourage you to read that entire thread here.  In that you will see divided opinions and thoughts on both the risk and how it can be reasonably managed.  That was for a detached garage.  An interior basement, in my opinion, increases the risk as your entire residential structure is at risk.

Within your basement probably adds another issue that most garages don't present, and that's odor.  In the houses with basements I've had the basement was included in the house HVAC volume.  That means any escaping odors and smoke will probably get mixed in with the house air.  Also, basements tend to be poorely ventilated, so I would expect that over time you will build up a lasting odor in your basement.

If it were me I wouldn't do it.  I'd build an enclosure as many of the folks here have done and keep it outside of my house.
Yeah...  Forget all that stupid crap I said.  BLSH is tellin' ya good.   ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Brisket Lover

Mine is in my attached garage.  Oven hood that vents out the roof.  I normally only smoke in the garage though, and finish in the oven.  Makes the house smell good.

BuyLowSellHigh

Just in case anyone following this thread missed it, here is another recent thread noting a fire in a Bradley, apparently from grease.  While most of us view this as a low probability event, it can and does happen.  Please bear this in mind if you are considering  using your smoker in an interior space.  Risk is the product of probability of an event occurring and what you stand to loose if that event does happen.  Both need to be considered.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18523.0

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

johnlmaddock3

I am not going to do it.   :-[

I have a detached garage that I can make room in.  I place some photos on my set up.  I am going to have to move stuff around.  Thanks for the information.  I was very close to drilling the vent hole in my house.  Thanks again.

Brisket Lover

I also have a high temp alarm in the smoker to alert me if it goes over 230.

bears fan

I wouldn't worry about smoking outside in the cold Iowa winter.  I live in SD and smoked all last winter when it was cold.  I just move the smoker out onto my deck whenever I want to smoke something.  Other than it being a little cold putting the food in and out of the smoker, it really does not affect the temp. of the smoker from what I have found anyway.  I have often thought about moving it into the garage; however, it seems like more work than it's worth to get the ventilation set up and holes drilled in the garage wall.  Plus you always have the potential for fire that just doesn't seem worth it to me in the garage.

FLSM

I've purchased the Jim Beam 4 rack DS, a couple of weeks ago. In the past I was using dual water heaters in my basement. Since my family has grown smaller, as wings are grown, I only use one water heater now. I just use the vacant vent, which flue's through the roof. It is two - 3 inch type B sections [one for each water heater], tee'd into a 6 inch type B length through the roof. It works great, also the vacant water line has an attached lead seal fire sprinkler, just for ease of mind. With proper cleaning and smoking maintainence, fire is a minimal risk. In a nutshell, it fit perfectly in the vacant slot. Smoke flue's properly, with natural draw from the chimney effect. Using the water heater tripod is the key to creating the venturi.

It's been a great smoker, I look forward to many pleasant gatherings. Where time can be spent with the company, and not with the smoker. =]

KyNola

FLSM,
I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I urge you to take a look at the attached thread.  Proper cleaning and maintenance will not insure fire prevention.

The smoker in the thread below had only been used twice before.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19808.0

Please be very careful.

GusRobin

I echo the concern of KY - one mistake could be disastrous
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.