Damper Size

Started by thirtydaZe, October 20, 2010, 03:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

Anyone know off the top of their head how big around the damper hole is on the DBS?

I'm wanting to move mine into the garage and am racking my brain trying to find was to vent this without having to drill though the top of the box.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

beefmann

never  measured it, though i would guess about  2  1/2 inches, though i have a 4 inch vent directly above the top of my vent  to the  outside of my enclosure that is more then enough for me.

if you are  looking to do a up draft non powered set up id go  with 4 inch and set it up similar to a water heater  set up where you   have a  collection ( or  what  ever you  want to call it ) above the  smoke vent ontop of the Bradley then to a steel or aluminum type of duct, ( stay away from the plastic style of duct ) and vent it to the outside along  with  an external cap that  would not let critters in.

hope this  helps   

thirtydaZe

that's essentially the plan i'm going for.  was at lowes trying to put the project together at the store, and came up with some ducting work that would fit both a 3" hole and a 4" hole.

if these are close and i can make a tight fit, then seal with silacone, i'd feel pretty good about things.

guess i'm going to have to measure that hole and go from there.

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

BuyLowSellHigh

If you are going to do a sealed duct from the Bradley to an exhaust outlet, add a closeable damper in the line as close to the smoker as practical just in case you ever get a fire inside.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KevinG

The biggest area of the hole measures 3 3/16" on mine. The vent top measures 3 6/8" and a total of 5 3/8" to the tab (my plastic handle broke, so I don't have that measurement).
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

BuyLowSellHigh

I remembered this but it took me a few to find it -- you might check out ArnieM's vent setup here.

I'd add a closing damper as the second piece out of the smoker, but that's me and my paranoia.    :o
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

thirtydaZe

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on October 20, 2010, 04:13:59 PM
I remembered this but it took me a few to find it -- you might check out ArnieM's vent setup here.

I'd add a closing damper as the second piece out of the smoker, but that's me and my paranoia.    :o

that's actually the setup i'm trying to copy.  i just was hoping to not have to drill into the top of the smoker.  also his base piece, i wasn't able to find anything similar at the lowes i was at today.

probably the route i'm going to have to go though.

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16