Splatchcock Chicken - skin UP or DOWN?

Started by smoker pete, October 20, 2010, 02:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

How do you place your Splatchcock Chicken in your smoker?

Have done splatchcock Turkey Breast, bone in, with the skin side up and it's come out great.  Notice that many members say they smoke their splatchcock chicken with the skin side down.  I don't pretend to know which is the preferred method or why but will smoking a couple of splatchcock chickens this weekend for my Son's family and am wondering which way I should face the skin.

Figure I'll rub some EVOO and sprinkle some poultry spice then PID my OBS at 250ºF, vent wide open, use 2 to 1 Apple/Special Blend for 3 hours, and pull when IT reaches 165ºF in the thickest part of the thigh.  Maybe about 4 to 5 hours.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

smoker pete

Believe I'll go with skin UP since about 80% say UP instead of DOWN.  I'll post the results with pics.

GusRobin

Why not get another chicken and do one of each. Then post the results of your experiment?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smoker pete

Quote from: GusRobin on October 21, 2010, 01:21:55 PM
Why not get another chicken and do one of each. Then post the results of your experiment?

Great idea Gus.  I actually have 2 chickens and will do just as you suggested.  Photos to follow.  Will be doing them Saturday.

smoker pete

Quote from: smoker pete on October 21, 2010, 04:25:18 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on October 21, 2010, 01:21:55 PM

Great idea Gus.  I actually have 2 chickens and will do just as you suggested.  Photos to follow.  Will be doing them Saturday.

Is it Saturday yet?  Is it Saturday yet  ???  Close enough  ;D ...  As I type I am smoking 2 splatchcock chickens - 1 w/skin Up and 1 w/skin Down.
Here they were after I rubbed them with EVOO and some Fagundes seasoning from my local butcher (Fagundes Meats)

SoCalBuilder

And that Kentucky rub on the left went where? ;D

classicrockgriller

smoker pete

smoker pete

The verdict is in ... It's "INCONCLUSIVE" ... I now believe it boils down to personal preference.  Although when doing more than one splatchcock chicken I think I will be placing the skin side UP so that drippings from anything above it will not collect in the cavity.

Here are the splatchcock chickens after 4.5 hours with 3 hours of 2 to 1 Apple/Special Blend smoke.  PID @ 250º with vent wide open

You can see that both chickens are equally done and I could not find any difference in flavor or moisture.  For me it boils down to presentation and I would not hesitate to sever either chicken

And now for the $$$hot  ;D ;D

Thanks to all those that participated in the poll.  Course, like any other poll, this one has a + or - error margin of 50%  :-\ :P

GusRobin

The verdict is in ... It's "INCONCLUSIVE" ...

Who cares if it was inconclusive? You got 2 great chickens out of the deal!
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Wow that is a sweet looking pair of keets you got there. Very yummy looking. But I need clarity on something. As half the time I am crosseye with a nervous tick  ;D I thought I read Spatchcock. So now I need to know how it goes, Spatchcock or Splatchcock. Or does it matter.
P.S. I confuse easily.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

SoCalBuilder

Looks so fine!!!!! But I really thought the $$$hot would also include a shot of that Kentucky Belly Rub ;D ;D

smoker pete

Quote from: Quarlow on October 22, 2010, 07:20:18 PM
Wow that is a sweet looking pair of keets you got there. Very yummy looking. But I need clarity on something. As half the time I am crosseye with a nervous tick  ;D I thought I read Spatchcock. So now I need to know how it goes, Spatchcock or Splatchcock. Or does it matter.
P.S. I confuse easily.

You're not confused Q but I think I may have applied too much of that Kentucky liquid rub for my innards  ;D ;D  It is NOT "splatchcock" but rather "spatchcock"!  Here is a link to how to properly "spatchcock" a chicken:

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/4162/How_to_spatchcock_a_chicken

classicrockgriller

You nailed them two chicks.

I thought I was full and my belly started growling when I saw the $$ shot.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG