Smoke generator throwing unburnt pucks

Started by Toker, October 23, 2010, 11:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

So are you saying they are advancing correctly but NOT burning at all?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Toker

HI FLB, nice to talk to you for the 1ST time, no, what i was saying is that some of the pucks were not burning AT ALL, i mean, not stopping on the hot plate AT ALL. Just passing from 2ND on the ramp example, and in stead of stopping on the hot plate, it was directly thrown into the water bowl.

FLBentRider

Oh, Ok - So it advances two instead of one at a time then?

Nice to talk to you too.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Toker

FLBentRider

Quote from: toker on October 25, 2010, 08:04:38 AM
You understood correctly. :D

I am by no means a SG expert, but it would seem to me that either the timer or the microswitch is the issue. I think I remember seeing here someone giving the micro switch an alcohol bath.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

Contact cleaner works well - I get it at Radio Shack.

When the timer calls for a new bisquette, if you listen very carefully you can hear the microswitch activate.  In a normal advance you should hear the little click twice - first at the start of the cycle and then again at the end to stop the motor.  If you don't hear the second and the advance continues with a 2nd puck, then the microswitch is probably stuck.  If you do hear the switch the second time and it advances a 2nd puck without stopping, then it is probably a bad microswitch.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Toker

Well, so far so good. I ran a couple of tests and it seems to work propertly. At least with the bubba pucks. I put 6 bubba and 1 wood chip at the end and i let 1 hour for the 1ST to reach the burner and drop 4 of them in water as usual (replacing the wood chip, i did not want to waste anymore in case of an other problem would be happening on my tests. The pucks were advancing the way they were supposed to. Not a fail!! ;D Just hope that i will be doing it with real wood puck next time. :P

Habanero Smoker

Great! It should work fine with the bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)