Rubs - dry, wet marinade?

Started by jimmyb, October 22, 2010, 11:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

Still new at this smoking thing, I purchased a few containers of different rubs at Cabelas. One was for pulled pork. I was assuming it was a dry rub but as I read the directions I noticed it says to mix with one gallon of water. This confuses me. Is it then a marinade and not a rub? Or is there such a thing as a "wet rub"?

On this topic, a few more questions come to mind.

1. What is the preference around dry rubs and marinades?
2. With this Cabelas rub, or any other wet rub/marinade, will I still get the nice bark on the shoulder?
3. Can I just use this rub as a dry rub?

beefmann

i do a dry rub with paprika, granulated garlic, pepper and ground mustard

FLBentRider

I've not done a wet rub on a butt or ribs.

I like the renowned Mr Brown, Salt lick clone, head country...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

That is preplexing.  Do you soak the butt in the gallon overnight or is it something you inject or paint on?  Never heard of anything like that.  Most on here do a dry rub with a slather of mustard or molasses or something along those lines.

I don't think that's going to give you that bark you're looking for.  I think I would stick with a dry rub.

The recipe site has some good recipes for rubs you could try. www.susanminor.org

Habanero Smoker

This sounds like a wet brine kit you have ordered, or if the salt level is low it could be considered a marinade. As others have requested, could you give more details on what the instructions state on how to use it, and the list of ingredients. Wet rubs are used often and are more commonly called a paste.

Sometimes you can use these types of seasoning as straight rubs, but if it was made to be used as a brine the salt content will be too high, and I would not use it as a rub. Also on the other hand if it was made as a marinade, the seasoning may be too intense to use straight on the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jimmyb

This rub can be found at:
http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Home-Cabin--Outdoor-Cooking--Spices-Seasonings-Marinades|--pc--104798880--c--104754780--sc--104593680--Cabelas-Competition-Barbecue-Rubs-150-84-oz--940658.uts.shtml

It is called "Pulled Pork Rub" so I'm guessing it's a rub. Ingredients are:
Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Torula Yeast, Dried Onion, Natural Flavor, Spices

The directions say:
Use all seasoning in jar for a 5-6 lb pork shoulder.
Mix with one gallon water or apple juice.
Soak for 6-8 hours in refrigerator
cook internal temperature of 190-200 degrees

Habanero Smoker

Looking at the product and reading your description of it use, it is still confusing. I would send an email to Cabela's.

The directions you give can be interpreted in two ways.
1- Use all seasoning in jar for a 5-6 lb pork shoulder: Since it is only a 8.4 oz container. Applying it dry, you will need the whole bottle for for a 5-6 pound pork shoulder.

2- Mix with one gallon water or apple juice. Soak for 6-8 hours in refrigerator: Mixing the whole jar with a gallon of water or apple juice make a brine/marinade mixture.

I would give it a taste, and if the salt taste is about on par with other rubs you have used, then you could probably apply it dry. It it is too salty I would use it as a marinade. Using this product in a gallon of liquid would not make it a wet rub, it would make it either a brine or a marinade. I have used standard rubs as the seasoning base of some of my marinades.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jimmyb

Ok, emailed Cabela's and here is their response:

"
You are correct, that is a marinade. It can also be used as a dry rub. I have used this product myself as a rub on the grill and it has been fantastic. "

Interesting because the label says "Rub"

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for following up on this. I was very curious as to what the application was going to be.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jimmyb

I am still not sure if I should use it. ANd how I would apply it. I might try a marinade. I haven't used one with a pork shoulder or a brisket. Any recommendations on using a marinade? Pros, cons?

squirtthecat

I'd try it as a dry rub on something small - pork loin or something like that..

Caneyscud

Not sure I would go to the trouble of marinading a butt.  Those things are pretty thick and it will take forever to get all the way through the meat.  I personally don't think that marinades penetrate very far at all.  If you want that flavor inside the meat' I'd figure out some way to inject it.  For me a rub is enough.  The flavor of the rub and the smoke will mix with all the meat when you pull it.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

When marinating a pork shoulder, such as making Cuba BBQ pork; if you don't have an injector many recipes call for using a two prong fork to pierce the meat all over prior to marinating it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

hal4uk

Quote from: jimmyb on October 22, 2010, 01:23:19 PM
It is called "Pulled Pork Rub" so I'm guessing it's a rub. Ingredients are:
Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Torula Yeast, Dried Onion, Natural Flavor, Spices
Honestly, that doesn't sound like a good rub.
Might be good, but.. hmmmm.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby