Puck Help

Started by goalieboy29, June 24, 2005, 06:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goalieboy29

I know this is silly but here goes; How does a noob use those pucks from Chez? Are they the last ones you put into the smoke generator?

I just got the pucks, am awaiting the smoker and I want to be ready when it comes. Thanks for any help with this.

goalieboy29

It's the wood that makes it good...
It's the wood that makes it good.

bsolomon

No problem.  Here's the situation:

When bisquettes advance from the stack to the burner plate, they are pushed out by a short advancer mechanism capable of moving a puck forward only one puck-unit at a time.  Each subsequent advance of the mechanism, pushes the bisquette forward one unit.  The burner plate actually projects into the cabinet, so the result is one bisquette on the burner plate, and two bisquettes in line behind.  As long as there are more bisquettes in the stack, each advance will add one bisquette to the back of the line, thereby pushing the one off the burner plate and into the water bowl.  The "problem" is that once you run out of bisquettes in the stack, the advance will advance, but it has nothing to push into the line, so everything sits where it is.  This means one bisquette will continue to smolder on the burner, the next one will usually begin a partial burn as a pre-heat step, and the third one in line just gets warm.  By adding two Bubba pucks in the stack as your last two "bisquettes", they act as spacers and push your final bisquette onto the burner plate.  If you add a third Bubba puck, or one additional bisquette after two Bubba pucks, then a Bubba puck will advance onto the burner, preventing the final bisquette from burning down completely to ash.

BigSmoker

U actually need 3 pucks.  If u have 2 Bubba Pucks yes they are the last 2 loaded in the puck shute.  To push the last burnt puck into the water u need either 3 Bubba Pucks or 2 Bubba Pucks and 1 regular wood puck.  Put the 3rd puck(Bubba Puck or wood puck on top of the other 2 Bubba Pucks).  If u don't care if the last burnt puck stays on the burner plate just use the 2 buba pucks and when u dump the water just push that puck into the water bowl with something other than your finger cause the puck burner is very hot.  Now this should all be clear as mud at this point, right[?]

Anyone for 3 card Monty?

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Phone Guy

When is that smoker going to arrive?

goalieboy29

Thanks for the info guys. Very Timely.

Hey Phoneguy, my smoker just arrived!!!! Turns out the delivery guy kept trying to deliver it to the wrong address for the last 2 days.
Good thing he didn't bother to call me eh?

All's well though, because she's sitting on the patio happily smoking away for the seasoning run I've heard so much about. Can't seem to get the temp below 200 and the manula recommends 150. Any problem with that? Any suggestions on "clean-up" required after the seasoning run?

Ahhh, tomorrow, ribs....Think I'll check the recipes for some info

thanks for helping a noob.

have a great week-end ya'll,

goalieboy29

jaeger

goalieboy,
Welcome to the forum! I wouldn't worry to much about the temp. Keep it as close as you can.
For clean up, just clean out the water bowl. There will be time to clean up tomorrow. After cooking in the Bradley, clean the bowl, the racks you use and just wipe up any spills in the cabinet. One of the main things to clean is the gasket and the edge around the door. Failure to clean these will pretty much glue the door shut after everything cools. This is extremly hard on the gasket so wipe down as soon as the Bradley has cooled down a bit. Don't worry about the smoke color inside of the cabinet. This is part of the seasoning of your unit and shouldn't be bothered with until you start to get black flakes building up. I do like to clean around the damper for certain smokes if I think I will be adjusting during the smoke and I don't want a "pepper" look to whatever I'm smoking.(ie:smoked cheese)

Good luck with the ribs. Take a look at a couple of recipes and decide what you are going to do and Let er rip!!!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

goalieboy29

Thanks for the advice Doug. I'll pay some attention to that gasket as you suggest. Looking forward to those ribs.

Have a good one,

goalieboy29

Phone Guy

goalieboy29

Hey Phoneguy,

First set of ribs were a disappointment. Too much smoke and a bitter taste. Ribs completely black. I think I may have smoked too long - 4 hours of smoke for 2 racks! Also, barely had the vent cracked. Did a bunch of racks for Canada Day and they turned out beauty. Smoked for 2 hours, cooked for 2 more and FTC'd for 2 more. Had the vent open 1/4. Put some sauce on 'em during the last hour and before FTC. Came out real nice. That is if you can judge anything from the way those pelicans I call my relatives devoured them. Sheesh, how about spitting out the bones gang?

Since then, did some chicken legs that were also really nice. I am hooked now. The Bradley rocks!

Thanks for asking.

Happy 4th too ya.

goalieboy29