Silicon Smoking/Grilling Mats

Started by Habanero Smoker, July 07, 2005, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

First use of Hole-E-Smokes.
The size of the mats makes them convenient for making sausage without casings and small meat loafs. I made four 12 ounce meat loafs and the mats made it easy to form uniform small loafs and keep the loaves together during smoking/cooking. I stuff each loaf with sharp cheddar cheese. With out the cheese I figure I could have made a 14 ounce loaf, or maybe as much as a pound each. After forming the loaves, just overlap the mat by at least one row of slots, and insert a toothpick at each end. I had not problem with the mats staying in place. I placed them directly on the tray, and was able to get four on a tray, with plenty of room left for air circulation. The slots in the mats are wide enough to insert a temperature probe or you can insert the probe through the end. Also there was good smoke penetration.

Very little if any cheese escaped. The mats helped the meat loaf maintain its shape, and therefore I feel that the mats prevented the cheese from oozing out. So they may work well with other stuffed foods. Just to note; because the loaves were stuffed with cheese, I could not get an accurate internal meat temperature with the temperature probe, so I had to test the doneness with a handheld thermometer.

As for the size; each one is 7 15/16" x 7 1/4". It takes 2 mats to cover about 85% of the rack. There is about 1/8" overlap which is not a problem, and about 1/2" – 3/4" uncovered area the length on each side of the mats, but I don't believe that will cut down on the amount of fish, poultry or meat you can place on each rack. The mats cleaned up easily. There is also some cleanup with the trays. I did coat the trays with Pam, and the clean up of the trays seemed easier, but on the other hand the total time the trays were in the smoker was less then four hours, and there was no sugar based rubs or glazes used. I still have to test it with salmon, to see how well they will function; that is the main reason why I bought them. I'm sure the salmon will not stick to the mats; I'm just not sure if the cleanup of the trays will be any easier.

Overall; if you purchase the 4 pack, that is enough to cover two trays; or make four small meat loaves or sausages. I'm going to purchase another 4 pack, because I like being able to make small meatloaves, and sausage. I hope to smoke some salmon within the week, so I should be able to report my findings on that. This weekend I will be doing a couple of chickens, and I'm going to line the trays with the mats, to see if they are practical for general use and if they make the cleanup of the trays easier.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

Thanks for the review Habs.  Looks like a winner product.  I will order some soon.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.