Name that meat?

Started by SoCalBuilder, October 22, 2010, 07:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

Now I usually avoid Costco because they have those big ol' carts that you can fit a 52" flat screen into. By the time I get out, the bank account has taken a serious hit. Today I heard they opened a 'Business Center' that caters only to.....yeah, no fooling you. businesses. No aisles of books and underware. Not a Xmas decoration in sight. Mostly restaurant supplies, pallets of drinks (I don't recall seeing any adult beverages ???))

My main target was the meat section at the back of the barn' and here is where I need your help. I started to look for Brisket and I found packers (I think). Sorry, I forgot to take a pic. but they were up to 15 lbs and seemed fairly cheap.
The next cut of beef was this.....

What is a beef shoulder clod and is it worth considering?

I next wandered over to the pig asile......

Boneless Pork Shoulder. The ticket for pulled pork? $1.35 lb. beats the hell out of the $3.45 a lb I paid for a 4 lb.er at the butcher.

Last but not least.....

What in blue blazes is pork cushion meat?

Your help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Randy

Tiny Tim

It's the other half of the porcine critter's front leg, more in the bicep area...the part of the picnic that is removed to get the Boston Butt.

SoCalBuilder

So Tim, at a nickel more a lb, is it better than than the shoulder?
Randy

Quarlow

Ok I won't be much help here but I have seen some folks on here do the Clods with good results. The pork shoulder is what you could use for pulled pork although true pulled pork has the shoulder blade bone in it. That said I have yet to get a pork shoulder blade roast for the pulled porks I have done and the boneless does quite a nice job for sure. Ass for a pork cushion I have no idea but many funny comments come to mind that probably should just be left unsaid.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

Any beef that's labeled USDA SELECT, you can be assured that the government believes it is edible and will not kill you.
That's all it means.
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Tiny Tim

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on October 22, 2010, 08:07:48 PM
So Tim, at a nickel more a lb, is it better than than the shoulder?
Randy

Fattier, so probably not better.  I based my initial reply on a quick yahoo search...I'm not an expert but I can sound like one. lol

KyNola

Dang Hal, what a buzz kill you are! :)

SoCal, snatch that beef clod and that pork shoulder.  Good eats ahead in your future!

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on October 22, 2010, 08:16:17 PM
Dang Hal, what a buzz kill you are! :)
We do what we can, Ms Daisy.   ;)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Quote from: hal4uk on October 22, 2010, 08:18:26 PM
Quote from: KyNola on October 22, 2010, 08:16:17 PM
We do what we can, Ms Daisy.   ;)
"Don't you be eyeballing me Flavous.  I knew you when you was a hustler down on Bull Street". Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  One of my top five movies.

Sorry SoCal, got off track a bit.  Seriously, go buy that clod and shoulder.

Habanero Smoker

Pork cushion is the preferred muscle that is detached from the picnic cut. It's the muscle that is longer in length, has more flavor and marbling and tender enough that you can use it as a roast. At $1.40/lb that is a good price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

I would be snatching up a bunch of that Boneless Pork Shoulder as well. All manner of sausages come to mind, Tasso, pork shoulder steaks, pulled pork are all made with this cut of meat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Those are some awesome prices!

Sorce

Well if the are catering to businesses that probably means no adult beverages. Last time I went to sams and bought $600 in alcohol they made me sign a thing saying I wasn't going to resell it. The nerve of some people.

Up In Smoke

QuoteAss for a pork cushion
Hee Hee..........he said ass :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Scotty-G

Couldn't resist sharing this from Wiki about Beef Clod

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_clod

"It is often served in institutional cafeterias due to its low price and the fact that it is easily mass cooked in dishes such as soups, lasagna, and gruel"

Love that Institutional Gruel  ;)