Smoked Chicken Tetrazzini

Started by smoker pete, October 23, 2010, 06:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Had me some smoked chicken laying around the fridge after running my skin up or skin down spatchcock chicken test so I decided to try using it with a Tetrazzini recipe from "The Good Housekeeping Cookbook" that I have been using for a couple of decades now when I have leftover turkey.

Figured what the heck ... got nothing to lose.  Here's the chicken leftovers

The Smoked Chicken Tetrazzini casserole out of the oven

The $$shot ...

It turned out to die for.  The smoked chicken gave it that extra notch which we all can relate to. I prefer to use Angel Hair instead of Spaghetti and I use Knorr Caldo Con Sabor de Pollo (chicken flavor bouillon) for the stock in the sauce.  If you've never had or made Tetrazzini it's a great blend of flavors and a delicious option for leftover turkey or chicken. 

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smokin Soon

We do need some more details on this, or at least I do! Thats my kind of wintertime comfort food, when combined with with some leftover smoked goodies! Good work.

KyNola

I agree with SS!  My kind of winter time comfort food.  I would so hammer that.

Habanero Smoker

Would you like to share your recipe. That would be a good addition to the "Left Overs..." section on the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Nice!  Smoked chicken in a regular dish really kicks it up. 

squirtthecat

Heck yeah!  I'd like to see that recipe as well..

squirtthecat

I think I found it here via Google Book search.

classicrockgriller

That does sound just awesome and the pic is worth a whole bunch of words.

That's using the ole noodle. ;D

Very, Very Nice!

smoker pete

The recipe I use is from the 1973 Edition of "The Good Housekeeping Cookbook".  The year after SWMBO and I got married  ;D  ;D

I use it as a guide for my leftover Turkey (will also use it for Smoked Turkey), Rotisserie Chicken, and now Smoked Chicken Tetrazzini.  I modify the recipe to fit our personal tastes.  First let me say that years ago I used to cook my own broiler-fryers like the recipe calls for but over the years I have just used leftover turkey or it's a lot easier and flavorful to just get a couple of rotisserie chickens from Costco or a local supermarket.

Here is the original recipe (before my personal modifications) - Note: omit steps 1 and 2 when using leftovers

Smoked Chicken Tetrazzini à la Smoker Pete

• Cook spaghetti or your favorite noodle.  SWMBO believes spaghetti is best but I like Angle Hair.  The updated recipe STC found calls for linguine
  • While spaghetti is cooking:
  • Saute a large onion, 1/2 to 1 pound of sliced fresh mushroom, and squirt some lemon juice.  Set aside for sauce - I often substitute a couple small cans of drained mushrooms
  • Make 4 cups of chicken broth using bouillon or canned broth.  Make 3 1/2 cups of broth if using 1/2 cup dry sherry (optional)
  • Tetrazzini Sauce:
  • I use a large pot to to make the sauce cause I think it's better to mix everything together rather than spooning the sauce over the noodles
  • In large pot, melt 1/2 cup of butter or margarine on high
  • Stir 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to create a roux
  • If desired, add salt, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp paprika, and/or 1/2 cup of sherry to roux
  • Stir in 4 cups of hot chicken broth using a whisk until smooth and slightly thickened
  • Remove from stove and whisk in 1 cup of half-and-half (I use fat-free half-in-half - gotta watch my weight)  ;D
  • Add sauted onions and mushrooms to sauce
  • Add 5 cups or more of large pieces of Smoked Chicken to complete the sauce
  • Add spaghetti, angel hair, or your favorite noodle to the sauce and mix well
  • Use a 13" by 9" baking dish - Greased or sprayed with PAM
  • Pour Tetrazzini mixture in the baking dish
  • Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and cover
  • Place Tetrazzini in a preheated 350º oven
  • Bake Tetrazzini for an hour.  Recipe calls for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly
  • Serve with your favorite vegetable or salad and garlic bread
  • Makes 8 servings

SnellySmokesEm

WOW  :o  And I thought I was the only one that ate pasta around here!  I WILL be trying that this week for sure.  Thanks!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Habanero Smoker

Thanks. I put this on my to do list for the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

Smokin Soon

I did make a batch of this and it was great1 We wolfed it down before I could get pics. Wifey asked for more to take for her lunch, but no more chicken. Defrosted some Hab's Canadian Bacon that I had pulled at 145, so it was plenty moist. Sauteed shrooms, garlic, onions, cheated on the sauce, used Newmans Roasted Garlic Alfredo, mixed in with the angel hair, topped with Italian bread crumbs and fresh ground Parmesan and baked for 40 min. They way this mess sucked up the smokey flavor the Canadian Bacon was unreal! The crunchy pieces on top gave me a bacon rush!

and some rye sour beer bread

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!