Dual Heat Element vs. 900 watt

Started by thirtydaZe, October 27, 2010, 11:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

Probably not going to jump in and make the modification extremely soon, but studying the process keeps a guy busy and thinking.

Based on the 2 upgrades, it seems to me that adding the 900 watt would be the easier of the 2 jobs.

I see where on the 900 watt element, the connection points are on the same side as opposed to the standard element where the white is on one side and the black on the other.

So the question:
For those who have done it, and assuming we have a side "A" and a side "B", do you just pull the wire from side "B" and slip it through with the wire on side "A", or is there more to it that i'm just not seeing?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

smoker pete

Here's a nice link 30daZe showing how beefmann installed a new 900 watt heating element back in 2008.  Check out the entire thread and links.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6918.0

Here's a follow up by beefmann

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7203.0

I myself will be looking into this approach over the installation of a second heating element.  Beefmann, is there anything you would like to comment on since you've now had the 900 watt installed since early 2008?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure if I am understanding your question, but the following links give fairly good detail on wiring the second element.
Additional Heating Element Modification
Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

thirty,

I have been running my  900 watt mod for 2 years now, and the only problems that  i have ran into are:

1) the blower pulls off to much  heat off of the  smoke generator.

solution: buy a auber timer and pid. the timer allows you  to cold smoke first then  switches to cooking and the  pid to control the  temperature the cooking  and makes the  smoking / cooking process a set it and forget  it. also the blower is not running while the smoking  process is going on. it  runs full time during the  cooking  process while the  heater is regulated by the pid

2) the exposed element from inside the  cabinet.
solution a metal canopy wide and  deep enough to deflect the  fat / grease onto the v tray to prevent fire flair ups

with this  set up my box temps are  pretty  well even through out the box with 20 lbs of meat, if i go higher i do notice a temperature difference so i put thicker cuts of meat towards the bottom and  thinner one s towards the top.

here is the link for the timer and pid that controls my smoker

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17304.0

also if you  run all 4 racks in a 4 rack smoker, rotate the racks . Whats on the  bottom  will get  dried out  quicker and wound be as tender.. 3 racks or less works almost  perfect with timing

thirtydaZe

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 27, 2010, 01:11:39 PM
I'm not sure if I am understanding your question, but the following links give fairly good detail on wiring the second element.

in simplest terms, on my DBS when i look into the tower and look at the heating element, there is a wire on the left end of the element, and a wire at the right end of the element.

the 900 watt element has both wire connections on the same side.

so i was asking if beefman just simply pulled the wire that was powering the right hand side of the original element, and just string it over to the other side.

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

beefmann

yes i pulled both wires to the  same  side through the cabinate

thirtydaZe

Quote from: beefmann on October 27, 2010, 03:46:01 PM
yes i pulled both wires to the  same  side through the cabinate

ok, thanks a million.

this really does seem to be the way to go, i think, as far as simplicity is concerned.

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

beefmann

that is what i think,

there are two heater mods and both have there advantages

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: thirtydaZe on October 27, 2010, 03:23:01 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 27, 2010, 01:11:39 PM

in simplest terms, on my DBS when i look into the tower and look at the heating element, there is a wire on the left end of the element, and a wire at the right end of the element.

the 900 watt element has both wire connections on the same side.

so i was asking if beefman just simply pulled the wire that was powering the right hand side of the original element, and just string it over to the other side.

I have a better understanding now. I thought you were inquiring about the second element wiring.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lumpy

So why did I install a 2nd heater element when there is a 900 watt single element available? ???

What are the opinions from all on which way to go.
Dual
or Single 900 watt

Thanks
Lumpy

smoker pete

Quote from: lumpy on October 28, 2010, 01:11:40 PM
So why did I install a 2nd heater element when there is a 900 watt single element available? ???

What are the opinions from all on which way to go.
Dual
or Single 900 watt

Thanks
Lumpy

Thanks to all those that blazed the unknown and gave us 2 options - 2nd element or 900 watt element.  I have the same questions as Lumpy.  If you were to modify your Bradley now which way would you go and why?

I think it was beefmann who verified that the installation of a fan with the 900 watt element would be preferred but that according to the manufacturer of the heating element, you can replace the existing heating element with a 900 watt element without installing a fan.  It is understood by me that you need a PID, which I have, to control the 900 watt element.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

GusRobin

If you put in the 2nd element you should also use a PID of some type
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

lumpy

love the smoke

I did install the 900 watt heater option as well but after burning out 2 of them i switched to the dual element. I found out that I need to move more air across the finned heater in order to make it last a longer

LTS
LTS

beefmann

LTS,

How much air  were you  moving across the 900 watt element?..

im moving 110 cfm and never burnt out the element