Candied Salmon

Started by shannon, July 06, 2005, 11:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shannon

I tried the smoker for the first time on the weekend and all went well. I smoked some salmon and some salmon jerky. I also did some candied salmon - but the candied salmon didn't turn out as well as I wanted it too.....I don't think I rinsed the brine off as well as I should have cause it was quite salty. I want to make some really great candied salmon and I'm not giving up hope yet. If any of you pros out there have some ideas or tricks of the trade that they would like to share, it would be much appreciated.

Shannon :)@ Vancouver B.C. Canada

BigSmoker

How 'bout sharin' the candied salmon recipe[:D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

I know many smoke salmon here. If anyone of them might be able to tell ya it is Kummok.

Also as BigSmoker suggested post your recipe so we can look it over. That way we will have a better idea of the direction you are going in.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Kummok

Sorry for the slow response on this Shannon[B)]  Been busy with visiting grandkids....my FIRST priority above fishing!

I'm reckoning that you're talking about what we call "squaw candy"....probably NOT a PC term in these days of everybody being offended by anything that's said about anything, but that's what its called locally by whites and natives alike, and at almost 55, it's not likely that I'll be changing the name in my lifetime..... A local pilot friend puts it this way, "...Squaw Candy is not derogatory and is what the Natives call it(They are a happy laughing bunch of people who would not understand the meaning of P.C.)so it's okay to say it and they will love you for eating it!"

Squaw candy is also called "salmon jerky" or "Balik", and resembles pemmican jerky (w/ red meat....usually venison, elk, buffalo, or other red meats...even beef) in its sweet flavor. It's cut in long strips and mostly cold smoked and dried so that it can be used as a trail meat. It is NOT a good thing to eat before going to the opera....on your way there, you will develop a STRONG following of feline and canine friends, but find yourself sitting SEVERAL seats from everyone else in the theater, but OHHHH!, the flavor!! [:p][:p]

If you want to taste some good stuff, our local fish processor (Coal Point) makes some pretty good stuff, although it's a bit spendy @ $23.99/lb [:0]  http://www.welovefish.com/alaska_seafood.htm

Here's a simple recipe to try...http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Departments/Recipes/Canning/salmonjerky.html   This one is a short process, (8 hrs...other recipes can take 20 days), and the only salt added is what's in the soy sauce.

Hope to see some positive results posted![:)]

(edited to add Coal Point website)

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Phone Guy

Kummok, Thanks for that link. There are some good recipes there.

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />Kummok, Thanks for that link. There are some good recipes there.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you liked that one, you'll probably like this one, PG: http://www.welovefish.com/recipes.htm   [:p]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

shannon

Thank you so much Kummok for the great recipe ideas....I will let you know how things turn out! [:X]

Shannon :)@ Vancouver B.C. Canada

32incheye

Smoked some salmon a couple of weeks ago at attempted to make candied salmon with about half of it.  While it was drying I brushed  it with quite a bit of REAL maple syrup and then after it had been in the smoker for 5 or 6 hours I started brushing the pieces with honey and then brushed them with a mixture or honey and maple syrup when they were finished.  I'm not sure if it was Indian Candy, but it was pretty good.  My friends liked it better than the "plain' salmon but I thought it was a little dry.

oguard

32 you can also mix some dark rum with that maplesyrup and baste that on the fish.I do it to about half my salmon and it is always a hit come Christmas time.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Warrior

Mikey,

Do you have the fish completly covered when in the brine?  When you pull it out of the brine do you rinse it off then dry or just dry it?