Sockeye Salmon

Started by Keymaster, October 30, 2010, 11:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

I got about six pounds of wild Sockeye salmon soaking in a Hi-Mountain Gourmet fish brine. The wife picked it up at Cabelas about six months ago, I have never tried it. I'll start the smokin in the morning  ;D

Quarlow

Let us know how it turns out. I have never used a wet brine but I am going to try Kummok's soon. I have always used a dry brine. Of course it is only dry for awhile and ends upi being basicly a wet brine as the moisture comes out of the fish.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

I've used that very brand several times.  It works well.  Next time will be using Kummok's because everyone raves about it.

Keymaster

After the fish soaked in the brine for about 18 hours, I rinsed it off under cold tap water and patted it dry with paper towels. I place the fish on inverted racks in the garage for 4 hours to glaze. I would have liked to have a longer glaze time but we'll see what happens, it was good and tacky.  The fish now is in the smoker  ;D

Quarlow

Looks good so far. Got to love smoked salmon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Keymaster

I've had my eye on this little jewel since the beginning of the smoke, it was the smallest piece of the batch and was excellent. I have about another hour to pull the rest of the batch.

Quarlow

I take mine to a drier state cause that is how we like it, but that is awesome looking. You got to feel good about that. Nice job.

OBS
BBQ

Keymaster

All done, 1 hour twenty minutes at 100deg f.  One hour and thirty minutes at 140 deg F. and according to the Bradley about 200 deg for four hours or so. About an Hour a Pound I figure, has some nice white butter fat on top but thats the good stuff  ;D

Quarlow

That white stuff is referred to around here as the dreaded "Boogers"  ;D. It won't kill anyone but some think it not so aesthetically pleasing to the eye. All it means is you brought the temp up fast enough to have some of the fats cook to the surface. Again nice looking fish. Congrats.

OBS
BBQ

Keymaster

Thanks for the support Quarlow, next time Ill do Kummoks recipe and make sure I don't have to rush. Life is such a rush , I need to learn to slow down ;D

West Coast Kansan

always a treat.  the pics look great. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)