Smoking Salmon..Question

Started by AdamsSC, October 29, 2010, 05:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamsSC

Planning on smoking some salmon tomorrow.  I went to the store to purchase the fish, made up the Brine to marinate overnight, and when I removed the packaging from the fish, I discovered that the salmon came with the skin removed.  I'm using the Kummok method, and it mentions to leave the skin on. 

Is my smoke still going to turn out OK?  Do I need to change my smoke times?  Help!!

KyNola

Skin removed is definitely not a problem.  I would spray the racks with cooking spray or wipe them down with oil before putting the salmon on the racks.

Kummok

Now, several years after I posted that, I hardly ever leave skin on anymore...I only do that for full size fillets nowadays. Like KyNola says, take proper precautions for sticking....I prefer the 'Frogmats' as available from Yard & Pool  http://www.yardandpool.com/High-Temperature-Jerky-Drying-Screen-p/hitempjrky.htm

Rainmaker

I'm glad I read this post.  I thought I had to take the skin off - which I have been doing.  Glad to know I can leave it on.

KyNola

My friend to the North, Kummok, is exactly right about the Frogmats.  They are a life saver.  I have 8 Frogmats for my 8 Bradley racks and 2 Frogmats for my MAK racks.

All of them worth every dime.